Chapter Four

Maddie took a menu from the waiter and opened it, and once they were alone, she smiled at Evan, "What do you recommend?"

He leaned back in his chair, folding his arms across his body, "well seeing as I’ve been involved in planning everything on this menu, I want you to surprise me. You order!" He closed his menu and placed it on the table.

Maddie sat back in her chair, "order for you? God that’s a hard one! Order for a chef? Ok..." she looked at the selection, then looked back to him. "I know a few things about you, but not really enough...Ok, three questions...where’s your ideal holiday destination?"

"The relevance is?" he was grinning as he asked, bemused by her.

Her response was a grin, “don’t be evasive, just answer the question Tate!"

Still smiling he thought for a minute, "New Zealand......hot/cold/relaxing/sports. Got it all!"

Raising a finger to her chin in faux contemplation, she nodded, "Ok. Ideal pet?"

                "Easy! No contest! Dog, the bigger the better!"

She smiled, "lastly what do you have on your toast?"

"You’d know if you’d hung around!” He retorted rather too quickly, “Ok ok," he added at her forlorn face, "peanut butter, every time."

With an elaborate nod, she signalled to the waiter, "Can we have the cold water fish salad for Mr Tate; I’ll have bacon and tomato salad. For main course the fillet, rare of course and roast vegetables, and I’ll have the chicken stack with crushed potatoes!"

The waiter nodded, poured them some wine then disappeared.

Evan was studying her with amusement, "and my dessert?"

"Almond and white chocolate cheesecake?"

He looked at her for ages, then smiled, "good choices, and a nice combination, light starter, heavy main, and a palate cleansing dessert. But I’m intrigued, please explain the logic."

Smiling she told him, "well you’re an open minded man, and the fresh coldwater seafood reflects your diversity."

He laughed, "I like that reasoning, the steak?"

                "You like dogs, cat people like chicken!"

She stopped because he was hysterical, "Wow, I love this! Dog owners like steak? What about if I’d liked rats?"

                "Easy, game, duck or pheasant."

                "Rabbits?"
She chuckled, "that’s easy, I’d have gone with a vegetarian option!"

He shook his head, wiping a tear of laughter from his eye, "that is priceless. How have I worked in this world for SO many years without learning this logic, it is so whacky it actually makes sense! You are a genius!” Sitting back he looked at her still smiling, “Wow, I am SO glad you’re working for my team! The options for theme nights and menus are endless. I am personally going to consult you on every food choice we make, every menu combination. You could be my Michelin star winning secret!"

Maddie giggled, she knew he wasn’t laughing at her, but with her, and in all honesty she’d picked him the greatest meal choice she could have, and she didn’t hesitate to tell him that.

They ate quietly, comfortable in each other’s company. Maddie studied him as he ate. He was better looking than her memory of that one night had indicated. He was tall, with dark hair, and eyes the colour of melted chocolate, the bitter rich dark type. He seemed to have a constant darkened jaw from the underlying stubble, but soft lips that curled so readily into a smile that revealed dimples in each cheek.