Chapter Fifteen: Questions and Confusion

I didn’t get out of bed on Monday morning when my alarm went off. I didn’t get up when Gaia’s alarm went off. I didn’t get up when Gaia came over to me, begging for me to get up. I just lay there. I didn’t sleep a wink last night; my brain was overloaded.

“Kefira, you need to get up. You’re going to be late and you won’t get any breakfast,” Gaia lectured.

“I’m not hungry,” I mumbled into my pillow.

“You’re still going to be late for class if you don’t get up soon.”

“Tell everyone I’m sick.”

Gaia sighed, then all of my sheets were ripped off my bed. I didn’t react.

“Don’t make me do something I’ll regret,” Gaia threatened. I grunted in response.

“Fine. You give me no choice.” I heard Gaia’s footsteps recede towards the bathroom, then she came back again.

“Get up NOW or I will tip this glass of water on you. God knows it’ll cure that bed hair of yours.”

I sat up, giving Gaia the most unimpressed look I could at this ridiculous time of morning.

“I knew the water would work,” Gaia said smugly.

“For the record, it was the insult to my hair, not the threat of getting soaked that made me sit up,” I said.

“What’s up with you? You haven’t been yourself since we found you last night.”

Last night Gaia, Kimi, Dex and Lock were all out looking for me. I don’t understand why they made such a fuss. I was fine. Well, as fine as I could be when I was face to face with a Super Villain who was spilling his life story.

“I’m fine Gaia. Can you drop it?”

“No. I won’t drop it. Something happened out there and you won’t tell me what it was. And don’t say it’s nothing because you have been ignoring me all morning.”

“Gaia, seriously. Go to breakfast or class or whatever. Please, just leave me alone.” Gaia looked like she was going to protest, but she didn’t.

“Fine. I’ll tell everyone you’ve come down with some serious PMS. ‘Kay?”

“Whatever.”

Gaia gathered up her things and left. I lay back down, thinking.

I almost believe last night didn’t happen; that I dreamt it all. Almost. I thought about what the Shadow Master said. About the government creating Supers. Could it be true?

‘Are you really so thick that you believe some sob story like that? I thought you were smarter than that.’

‘He seemed genuine though. He looked so...vulnerable last night.’

‘Give me a break. He’s tricking you. He’s appealing to your emotions. He wants you to trust him then BAM! You’re dead.’

‘Charming. And aren’t you the one who said ‘I don’t think he wants to hurt us’. You are such a hypocrite.’

‘At least I can see through this ruse he’s putting up. I can’t believe you don’t see it. Or maybe you don’t want to?’

‘You were the one who said he was hot.’

‘I’m only voicing the thoughts you KNOW you were thinking. He’s lying to you. The sooner you accept that, the better.’

And it was silent. Thank God!