Chapter 18 - Loved

Ryder

It wasn't hard finding Durbin, considering how casually he stood next to the front doors compared to the stiff, uptight guard next to him. I'm guessing that there were so many guards, this certain one didn't think it odd to have a man standing by him that he'd never seen before, dressed in the same uniform, with a gun in his hands.

I walked over to him, the crowd in the lobby now thinned of men and women that had watched the match. Durbin's thick dark eyebrows turned down in worry as his eyes connected with mine. His hands clenched tighter around the gun probably scared that I knew he was a fluke.

"Durbin?" I asked as I stopped in front of him. The other guard's head turned to look at me wondering why on earth a cage contender would be addressing one of them by name.

"Yes sir?" Durbin asked, his voice raspy, showing no sign of fear or apprehension.

"Um," I started, not quite sure how to say this without being obvious. The other guard eyed us, waiting for me to continue. "Cody needs some back-up upstairs. He sent me to find you."

Durbin's eyes widened, then they went back to normal as he tried to keep his face clear of all emotion. "Alright then," He said stepping forward. "Show me the way please."

I turned over my shoulder suddenly feeling relaxed that this had been so easy.

"Wait," The other guard's voice stopped us both dead in our tracks. "Do you need my assistance?"

Durbin turned back around, a smug smile tightening his lips. A short beard was grown along his jaw, his black hair long and unkempt, looking like a caveman. It was completely obvious that he wasn't really a guard, but some how that went unnoticed to the other man.

"Nah Joey," Durbin said waving his hand dismissively at him. "I'm twice your age and been doin' this for years. I'm sure I've got this under control."

"If you're sure then," Joey replied, straightening his body back into position.

"See you later boy. Tell Ben that I say hi."

"Will do."

Durbin turned back around, and I walked beside him as we made our way to the elevators. When the doors closed, leaving us alone apart from the horrible music that played through the speaker above us, I turned to look at Durbin.

"So you know them all by name?" I asked, my voice seeping with suspicions.

Durbin turned his head to look at me, his eyebrow cocked. "I've got to act the part of course. When in Rome?"

"I don't think that phrase applies to this situation." My eyes glanced up to the electronic numbers that ticked by, passing floor number five. Bringing me closer to floor number thirty, closer to her.

My heart ripped as I thought of her, knowing everything that could have been is now shattered. She's been put back together now, since he is alive and here, and I was the puzzle piece that no matter which angle you held it out, it couldn't possibly fit into the picture.

I glanced down at the floor, feeling my eyes prick with angry tears. I quickly blinked them away as Durbin spoke.

"I never got your name," He said, his voice hard and rough compared to the chirpy piano that rang through the speakers.

"I'm Ryder," I replied, my fists still clenched at my sides.

"The Ryder?" Durbin asked, his reflection in the elevator doors, spinning to look at me.

"Yes?" My voice sounding like a question.

"Joey and Ben mentioned you." He pointed his long finger at me. "They were filling me in on the match, which is fucking crazy by the way," A gruff chuckle came from him. "But you were mentioned. Supposedly you two have become quite the couple." His voice changed on the last sentence, now sounding like he was accusing me of something.