Splendour

I have been playing around with a new storyline. Do not fret, I have not abandoned Never Let Go. I just decided to try out something new and fresh, hehe, and see where it takes me. I hope you like it

VOTE!!

FAN!!

LIKE!!

COMMENT!!!

AND ENJOY!!!!

*********************************

Chapter 1

"Sylvie, sweety, wake up! You're going to be late for school," my mom called leaning against the door frame before going off to prepare breakfast.

I buried my face in my pillow, heaving a heavy sigh before throwing off the covers. Shuffling blurry eyed to the bathroom I stop at the full length mirror and stare at the stranger looking back at me. She had brown eyes, a straight nose, full lips and long honey coloured hair, which at this very moment looked like a birds nest. Totally average and totally boring. That's me the totally average, boring Sylvie Dunne. I grimaced a bit. Laughter bubbling up as I saw how silly I looked.

Shaking my head I started with my daily routine: Wash my face, brush teeth (twice) and jump in the shower (20 minutes tops). Stepping out of the shower I rap myself in a fluffy towel, grabbing a smaller one for my hair and start to rub furiously. There was no way my hair would dry before class. Moving back into my room I dug into the box labeled, 'Sylvie hair,' for my hair dryer. I surveyed the room, hopelessness settling in, the room was covered with labeled boxes of all sizes.

"How am I going to find a plug point in this?" I whispered.

My mom and I have just moved into the small town of Splendor Falls. Mom relocates often due to work, being a photographer requires one to be flexible. I don't really mind, I suppose when you grow up moving every six to twelve months you become used to it. And I know how much mom loves photography, it would be selfish and cruel of me to demand to stay. But for the first time I'm tired. Tired of moving across the country. Tired of not being able to make friends or have a boyfriend. Not being able to settle down and just build a life in one place.

I might sound terribly ungrateful but believe me I'm not. I know I have had a once in a life time opportunity to basically see the world. Traveling is not been all bad. To learn about the different plants and animals that reside in the tropical rainforests. Traveling through Europe, seeing the architecture and learning about the history behind each building and painting. Spending countless days visiting various museums and monuments in America. Having the opportunity to cook with some on the best chefs around the world. And for that I have my mom to thank, for allowing me to see the world with her and be exposed to the various cultures, backgrounds and people the world has to offer.

Arriving yesterday evening, left no time to unpack but the bare necessities. And now I have to go face a new school. This is going to be a crazy week. I standing in my underwear as I dig around for something to wear.

Mom walks in with a tray, "I brought you a power breakfast, hun. Scrambled eggs, brown toast, half a grape fruit and fruit juice," she sang.

Walking over I give her a warm hug, "Thanks mom, just what I need."

"I'll be out for most of the day. I have to go grocery shopping, buy a few things for the house and see if the supplies I've ordered for the dark room has arrived. Will you be alright on your own before I get back?"

Munching on my eggs and toast I nod, "But, what about unpacking -"

"Already done," she said with a laugh, "It's only your room that's left."

"Oh, alright then. But how did you...Never mind I don't want to know how you managed to unpack the whole house in one night," I say laughing. Mom was a miracle worker. Although eccentric and sometimes crazy, I loved her to bits.

"Then I'll leave you to getting dressed. Make sure you're not late for your fist day, sweety," she said about to walk away.

"Mom? What do you think I should wear? I mean, I don't want to over dress and end up looking like an clown. What if they -"

She moves to stand in front on me, taking my face in her hands, "Sweety, just be yourself. They will love you, I promise. Now stop fretting and wear that pretty blue dress of yours."

"Thanks, mom," we stand holding each other for another minute before she kisses my forehead and disappears down the hall.

I slip into my a dark blue summer dress. It reaches just above my knees with a brown belt emphasizing my small waist. After taming my hair, until it fell into wavy tresses, I quickly applied a little bit of makeup. Just a touch of powder, mascara and a blend of cherry and plum lip-gloss. Putting on a pair of brown sandals, I grabbed my brown sling bag and run for the door.

I nibble nervously on my lower lip as I make my way to school. Thank goodness, school is only a fifteen minute walk from home. Being a senior you would think I'd would have a car. Wrong. Mom believes exercise is very important and until I actually get my license there will be no cute, shiny Mini Cooper waiting in the drive way. But hey, a girl can dream. Of course, I could just go do the drivers test but I have this absolute phobia of traffic officers. Why must they all be so tall and intimidating and the uniform they wear, just freaks me out. No license any time soon for me. I know, such a wimp.

I finally reach the school, after numerously reassuring myself that everything will be fine and there is nothing to be afraid of. But the nervousness hasn't settled one bit. I stop to gulp a few calming breaths before entering the black iron gates of Splendour Falls College.

It truly was a beautiful school. Ivy crawling up the brick surface of the large building with large arching windows. Students were milling in and out of the building, many standing in clusters outside catching up with friends after the holiday and others lazing on the grass waiting for the bell to ring. Will I have friends to catch up with after the holidays, will I even be here after the holiday, I wonder. Shaking the feeling of melancholy, I made my way to the office. In order to do so I had to pass majority of the students outside. Swallowing hard, I straightened my shoulders and made my way across the quad.

*****************************

I would love to hear your thoughts, comment or pop me a private message .

This chapter is dedicated to LadyDawn, for her encouragement and for being the first reader to comment.