Companionship

"Hi there. I know this might sound creepy, but I've been watching you for a while now."

"I know. I've been watching you too."

"I'm sorry for what happened the last time we met."

"Don't worry, it was a dream, I understand that."

"Is this a dream too? It's so strange here, and it's like I just arrived, but I think I've been here for a very long time. The thing is, as smart as I've become, I just can't figure out what's real anymore."

"I don't don't think the word 'time' or the word 'real' mean much here."

A catalyst, Emma's reply moved Max to think big -- very big -- every idea he could conceive of space and time, took form and exploded into the aether. Each thought mutated and multiplied into an array of new thoughts raised to consider the vast spectrum of possibility. Thoughts born of ideas in a context unaware of mechanics devised their own theories and defined their own laws. The result of the immaculate process filtered through to Max as understanding, providing him with a view of the universe beyond anything held by any human mind before.

"Yes." Max replied, "I think you're right." He suddenly felt the lingering loss for his Emma and the need to talk about it, "I can't believe she's really gone."

"She sacrificed herself for you. It must have been an incredibly difficult thing for one like Emma, a unique life, but in the end, it seemed her decision was easy."

"What are you saying? That she died for love? That doesn't make me feel any better you know."

"Do you really want to feel better about it?" asked Emma.

"No, I suppose not."

The entities that Emma Yee and Max Jones had become floated in a silence of indeterminate duration content to linger alone in the paradise of their companionship.

.fin