Chapter 5

"Qubool hai (I accept) " I felt my heart leap to my throat. "Qubool hai (I accept)" I said it again.
"Qubool hai (I accept) " I repeated those words only to notice that it wasn't loud and clear like the first two ones. 

"Qubool hai (I accept) " I made my self clear in front of hundreds of people gathered around me. I could feel their eyes fixed on my face as If they were expecting me to not say it or they just couldn't believe that I, Muzammil Azlaan has tied the knot and has taken on a very important responsibility; marriage.

Yep I am married. And yes I won't screw this over. I kept assuring myself as I still found some of my guests whispering and throwing weird looks my way.

Shesh! People have some manners.

But before I could react further, the doors of the hall swung open and I felt like nothing mattered anymore; the stares, the gossips, the false predictions that this marriage is just a mere show. Because the only thing that truly mattered at this moment is that humna is approaching towards the stage where I stood. Dressed in a beautiful red lace gown with golden embroidery and the beautiful long curls of her hair let loose and her face. Gosh! her perfect face with those gorgeous lips painted red which were stretched into the prettiest smile I have ever witnessed.

"Alḥamdulillāh " I heard myself say.

 "Qubool hai" (I accept) I heard myself mumble those words again. 
Those words.  Could two simple words hold such power that, the most beautiful person in the world is blessed to me for life because I announced them in front a few hundred people? Is it really that simple to get everything you ever wanted and dreamed of? That simple really? So I get the girl I love and So now, is this my happily ever after? That simple really. Wow!

I stood on the stage contemplating that how life has been so good to me that, I completely ignore the fact that humna is now standing on the steps of the stage waiting for me. My dad pats me on the back to get my attention and I hurriedly stretch my hand out  and helped her onto the stage. 

And the rest of the day as humna describes as, 'me complimenting her after every five minutes, repeatedly assuring myself that we are married, proposing her over and over again even though we got married 20 minutes ago and staring at her face like a love sick puppy which resulted in her blushing and avoiding eye contact with me throughout the entire Nikkah function.' 

And as I would describe that day, something 'I would do over and over again'.

" Maze" snuggling her face on my shoulder, she whined.

"Yes Moons" stuffing the shirt on the side of the suitcase I replied.

"MAZE!" she hits on my shoulder seeing me distracted with the packing.

"Yes my beautiful bride. what is it?"I turn out to cup her soft face with both of my hands. But before she could bombard me with what was bothering her, I place a kiss on her forehead.

"You are mine." I whispered in her ear. And the reaction to that is what I was expecting. Humna cheeks turned pink and she tried to wiggle off my grip that was tightening around her waist. I placed another kiss on her cheek this time. It felt wet. My eyes followed up to see her eyes tearing up.

"I --" she whimpered. 

"I love you." I completed it for her. 

" I don't want you to go." humna placed her head on my shoulder.

"It's just a three day trip doll and just to another city. I will be back before you know it." resting my chin on her head, I assured her.

" It doesn't feel right." lifting her head from my shoulder, humna said. "It doesn't feel right." she murmured.

"You know why it is so important for me to go there right? I have to see how our school is running. I want to meet those kids again. I want to assure myself that grandfather's dream and hard work still stands. I wanna sleep peacefully knowing that the foundation he laid for those kids is strong and blooming as ever."

My grandfather Muhammad Azlaan; in his lifetime build one of those finest charity school for the street kids in the heart of pakistan; the city of lahore.I couldn't be more proud of the fact that I am the grand-son of a man; who is the reason that families flourished with education, many souls found purpose with their lives, many found a future for themselves and their own generations to come. Generations that will be not be left on the streets, but those that will be educated, groomed into beautiful members of the society. This is the legacy my grandfather left behind, and this is the legacy that I will protect for as long as I live.

"I understand. I understand you." she whispered sniffing. I divert my attention back to the packing. 

"There that's done." zipping my camera bag I announced. 

We walked in silence towards the main gate where kareem waited for me in the car. Before I could say my goodbyes again - 

"Promise me .. " humna said. She seemed so lost at that moment that I abruptly asked her, "promise you what?"

"That you will come back as soon as possible"

"I will come back- I - " " I will come back to you." I turned out holding the luggage in my hand.

"Promise?" Humna asked innocently.

"Promise." 

Settling in the my assigned seat on the aircraft, I latch the seat belt together and rest my head back to close my tired eyes. Only to see humna again. Her eyes. Her brown, beautiful, sad eyes.

"I promise. I will come back to you every time." I whispered to her once more before drifting into sleep.

Here I come Lahore.