Chapter three

I woke up and stumbled out of bed into the kitchen. I grimaced at the sight of broken plates, rotted food, and other unnecessary items cluttering up the counters.  With a wide sweep, I cleared a large space for breakfast.  Another frown danced across my face a UFO (unidentified furry object) skittered among the junk.

I went to the fridge and got out some bacon and eggs and that looked and smelled a little edible.  I found a semi-clean frying pan and took out the butter.  White fuzz and green mold sprinkled across the top.  I gagged and scraped it off until there was no sign of it.  I then took a chunk of butter and flicked it into the frying pan and watched it melt.  I took a few eggs and cracked them into the pan.  I would have added some milk but since you could chew it I decided to pass.

After the eggs were scrambled, I added a few strips of bacon and inhaled deeply as they sizzled and crackled.  Eli drifted in and I smiled as I scooped a big serving onto his plate.  He immediatly dug in.  I sat down ready to take a bite of my eggs when Mom came stumbling in once again bleary eyed.  She came over and looked at me and frowned, "Bills are due."

I nodded.  "How much are they?"

She snorted, "More than you can pay."

"I have last week's paycheck..." I looked away.  No way was I gving her my savings.

Mom nodded.  "Yeah, use that and go to the bank and pay them."

I didn't bother mentioning I had money from this week's pay too.  I went to my room and sat on my bed.  I looked around at the cramped area.  Eli was sitting on his bed looking depressed.

I heard Mom open the wine cabinet and made the decision I had contemplated a few weeks before.  "Eli get your duffel from Mom's closet but be super quiet."

He shot me a confused glance but obeyed me.  As soon as he left I was in motion.  I went under my bed and got our the jar of money.  I had paper bills stuffed inside.  I also got my red duffel and began tearing open drawers.

Eli came back and must have been smarter than I thought because he began copying me.  He even pulled out a pathetic looking piggy bank of his own. 

We worked quickly then I grabbed the bags and told Eli to tell Mom he was coming with me to the bank.  Within moments we were driving.

I did go to the bank but I made a withdrawal.  I took out all my savings.  It wasn't much but it was enough to last a little while.I left Mom's account untouched.  It was a mere 350 dollars if she paid the bills in full.  I for one, would not be paying bills anymore for her.

I got into the car and glanced at Eli sleeping in the backseat with a book on his lap and sighed.  It was time to start over.

____________________________________________________________________________

For those of you who have read Skinny Minnie know very little of Trinity.  This delves deeper so you know exactly what she's gone through.  Hope you enjoyed:)  I'll post the next chapter when I get around to it.  I have school and I know it's not an excuse but since I'm getting a D+ in Algebra, I need to focus more on my top priorities.