Chapter 13

So, I had a really crap day and all I wanted to do was forget about it, so I came home and 5-6 hours later, I had this! At least some good came out of my poop day! 

2 updates in a week? You guys are getting spoiled ;)

Vote, comment, fan! Enjoy!!

______________________________________________________________________

Somehow, I convinced Xavier to let Violet and I still have the next night to ourselves. After a lot of debating, he compromised that we could have our fun, but the second he heard our breathing even out in unconsciousness, he was taking me back to our room. I could only be away from him for six hours because of the blaze.

“I still don’t understand why I only get six hours to myself,” I grumbled as he walked me to Violet’s door. Yes, because the world would come to an end if I walked myself down the hallway! Talk about overprotective. “It seems like an overreaction. I’ve lived without you for the past eighteen years, and that was when I still crossed the road without looking and didn’t wear a seatbelt.”

“Blazing used to be more like marking, without the extra effects,” Xavier informed me. “It was a symbol to others that you were taken. My name would still be inscribed, but it didn’t used to have the pull it has now that forces us to be together. Not that it’s a problem, but mates of demons did at one point have the freedom to be away from their demon counterpart.”

“So you didn’t used to be this ridiculously possessive?”

“It’s not ridiculous, and no, even back then demons were just as obsessed with their mates. However, this became a known, powerful tool against us. Demons- still delirious with thoughts of our mates- didn’t have the same pull when they blazed their mates. Our enemies would kidnap women on their relaxing walks or ambush groups of friends at quaint cafés.

“When the demons got home from work to find their mates missing, they were too late. Demons used to work long hours, but because of this pull, it is limited to five so an extra hour is available if something were to go wrong. The six hour time limit apart is not only to satisfy my complete adoration of you, Princess. It is for your safety, so that my enemies cannot snatch you up and run far before I catch them.”

“How did the blaze get the added pull then?”

“For centuries after the idea was accepted, we searched for a good witch to help us. Do not misjudge my words, witches are not generally evil. However, they do harbor selfish intentions and most are too cunning to trust. Every nook and cranny was searched for a good witch, and eventually, my own grandfather was the one to find her.

“She was living on the outskirts of a elf community, far away from society but within a few days’ walking distance, not that she could not transport herself there, but that is besides the point. Witches are known to like their privacy, mostly because they were judged so harshly in earlier years. The Salem Witch Trials had sent most of them scrambling to hide themselves in the furthest corners of the world, both human and supernatural realms. It was a rarity to find one, but they searched endlessly not only to encounter one, but a woman that was generous enough to loan such an extravagant gift.

“Dhalia was her name. Like I said, they had searched for about five hundred years before crossing paths with her. Thankfully, witches and demons have good relations. Err, that is, as good relations as we have with other supernatural creatures. If you hadn’t noticed, we tend to keep to ourselves, mostly because of our brash and sometimes what are considered malicious ways. Witches and vampires are two of our closest friends, though, so she didn’t run immediately, which gave my grandfather time to explain to her what we desired.