Chapter 14 ~ Realize

Dozens of people are in the ballroom now. All of the invited guests are here. Captain Kirkland is conversing with some acquaintances of his, most likely men tied to the government, maybe even other British privateers. I wander off to the nearest table and take a seat. Everyone looks so animated and cheerful, but honestly, I’m just bored. With a sigh, I continue to observe the other guests.

 “Hello, there,” a demure voice greets me.

 A girl who looks a couple of years younger than me sits down next to me. Her hair is red, though not as intense of a hue as Iain’s, and a few freckles dot her pale cheeks. Her dress is of the palest gold and accents her deep brown eyes. She is quite pretty.

 “Hello,” I politely reply.

 “My name is Caoilainn Rempton. Father works as one of Governor Willingham’s assistants, and he brought Mother and me along. What’s your name?”

 “Just call me Miss Vincent. Are you enjoying the party?”

 “To be honest, it’s a bit dull. But don’t tell anyone I said that,” she giggles.

 “Don’t worry, I won’t. I couldn’t agree with you more actually,” I smile good-naturedly.

 “You see, that’s why I came over here. You’re the only girl I’ve seen who looks about my age. I figured we would have a livelier conversation with each other. All the older women do is gossip, and all the men talk about is politics. How boring!”

 I laugh and nod in agreement. We talk about several unrelated topics, simply enjoying each other’s company. For once, I’m having a normal conversation with someone my age; no barking orders, no guarded witty banter. At some point, I mention I have been sailing for quite some time now.

 “That sounds so exciting!” Caoilainn gushes.

 “You get to travel all over the world and visit so many new places. You’re so lucky.”

 “Well, we haven’t been to too many places yet, but I look forward to every new destination.”

 “How did you come to sailing the seas? Is your father a sailor? The captain perhaps?”

 Caoilainn’s eyes shine with interest.

 “Um, well… How I ended up on the ship is a bit complicated and not really important… But it is partially due to the captain, though he’s not my father. He’s actually my escort to this party.”

 “Really? How wonderful! Who is he?”

 After searching the crowd for a second, I point him out.

 “He’s over there, the blonde one. Yes, him. That’s Arthur Kirkland.”

 When Caoilainn sees who I am talking about, her lips part as she gasps softly.

 “Him? The Arthur Kirkland? Our country?” she questions bewilderedly.

 “Yes. That’s him.”

 Caoilainn seems to get over her initial shock. She looks at me with a kind of softness in her eyes.

 “Being a country must be hard.”

 She turns to look at the crowd.

 “I met him once, about three years ago. He had come to discuss some things with my father and the governor. He was very polite and gentlemanly, but he hardly ever smiled. There was a sadness about him. After meeting him, all I could think was: to have been alive for so long must be so lonely.”

 I think back to that day, to his words.

 Every person I meet and will meet will die eventually.