Chapter 13 ~ Heartbreaking

***Five weeks later***

 I go over it in my head once more.

 My mother’s name is Mai Kuran Vincent. My father’s name is James Vincent. She taught me how read and write, and he taught me how to fence. They were both very loving and kind. I know how to swim because I taught myself…

 Over the course of our two-month voyage, I have remembered more bits and pieces of my past. I remembered we had a cat, who I had called Mira, when I was six; but she died of a disease weeks after my seventh birthday. My neighbors, my childhood friends, my favorite places in town – I can see what they all look like, but I can’t quite recall all of their names. I still can’t remember what brought me to Port Dominica either. Still, I’m happy that my early life was carefree and enjoyable.

 Now, here I am in a new port town: Solís. We docked in the early afternoon, and now it’s almost evening. This town is fairly rowdy from what I’ve seen so far. Lively music is always coming out of the open doors of pubs and taverns. I’ve seen three street fights already and a couple of street performers dazzling crowds with their magic tricks. Of course, there are also a few drunks wandering around, sometimes harassing people.

 Well, I prefer this over someplace that’s completely dull.

 After wandering around for several more minutes, I find what I’ve been looking for. The sign reads “Jewel of Solís.” I step inside, my body relaxed. There will be no theft here today.

 The old man behind the counter looks up from polishing a walnut-sized ruby. His hair is completely white, and his face is lined with deep wrinkles, but his eyes twinkle with the lucidity of a smart young man. I offer him a smile.

 “Hello, there, sir.”

 “Hello. How may I help you today, young lady?”

 “I just want to ask you some questions,” I remove the aquamarine necklace, “about this little beauty here.”

 He carefully takes the necklace into his veined hands and puts it up to a nearby oil lamp. He fingers the jewels and the silver chain, his brows furrowed in concentration. Satisfied with his analysis, he hands the necklace back to me.

 “This necklace isn’t pure silver, is it?” I ask the jeweler, knowing what the answer will be.

 “No, young lady, it is not. It is actually white gold. Like yellow gold, it will not tarnish, and thus, it is quite valuable.”

 “And the diamonds?”

 “Ah, they are quite small, but of the best quality. They are also quite valuable. The aquamarine is worth a large amount as well; it is rare for one so large to be cut so well.”

 The jeweler leans forward and gives me an appraising look.

 “That is a very expensive necklace you have there, young lady, and it is a splendid piece of jewelry. You should be careful about where you leave it. However, you already seemed to know of its value… Why the questions?”

 “I just wanted to be sure of my suspicions. Thank you so much for your time.”

 “It was my pleasure. Do come again.”

 I stand outside of the shop and put the necklace on again. I grab the pendant and eye it warily.

 Liar.

 ***

 It feels so nice in here, so refreshing, like a cool breeze on a summer day. I am floating, drifting. My eyelids lift up halfway. All around me is darkness. I let out a breath and see bubbles escape from my mouth.