Chapter Fifteen

"Now how are you finding the Capitol and don't say with a map?!" Caesar chuckled, making the audience and Peeta laugh. We all stand around the television, Haymitch and I keeping an eye on Katniss.

"It's different, very different from back home"

"In what way? Give us an example"

"Okay, well the erm, showers here are weird" I laugh along with the audience, as Peeta makes a joke, at least, I think it is.

"Showers? We have different showers" Caesar gives the audience a quick raise of his eyebrows.

"I have a question for you Caeser, do I smell like roses to you?"

Now that got me by surprise, Peeta is practically asking Caesar to smell him. I shake my head and laugh, as I go and get a drink of water.

When I return, I instantly notice the tension in Haymitch, the eagerness in Effie, and the confused look on Katniss, that's when I know Peeta is about to tell the nation.

"I don't believe it for a second! Handsome man like you, Peeta, tell me" Caesar begs. Peeta sighs, and leans forward a little.

"Well there, there is this one girl that, I've had a crush on forever" There were a few 'ahh' from the audience and Caesar "But I don't actually think she, recognized me until the Reaping" Here we go...

"Well, I'll tell you what Peeta, if you go out there, and you win this thing, and when you get home, she'll have to go out with you, right folks?!" The audience cheers in response, and Caesar gives his famous evil laugh.

"Thanks but I don't think winnings going to help me at all"

"And why not?" We all intake our breaths, our eyes glued to the screen. Peeta's silent for a minute, and then sighs.

"Because she came here with me"

Silence overcomes us all. We're speechless. I take a look at Katniss, who's frowning slightly. I decide to break the tension.

"Effie?!" I joke, causing me to get THE death glare from the lady herself.

"And it's not Lucinda?" I'm so startled by his question that I instantly laugh

"No" Peeta whispers "It's not Lucinda"

"Well that's bad luck"

"Yeah, it is"

"And I wish you all the best of luck" They shake hands

"Peeta Mellark! District Twelve!" And that's it, the interviews are over. But honestly, if Katniss' looks could kill, Peeta would instantly drop be the first to go.

_*_

"How'd you think they're doing?" Haymitch asks, as we step out of the lift and into the apartment.

"Well hopefully she hasn't killed him yet"

"Hmm, no I think she'll do it when they get back, you know, to get away from the cameras."

Haymitch and I are the first back from the interviews, much to our surprise, even Effie wasn't back yet! We stand on the balcony, overlooking the entrance to our apartment.

"I suppose" Is all I can say. All I can think about is what I have to do in that arena tomorrow. Peeta really has grown on me I have to say. He's not just a pretty face, he's got a good heart, and he fights for what he believes in. As a matter of fact, he's not the only one. Katniss has too, she's going to prove difficult in the arena, let me tell you. And little Rue, Ah, what a sweetheart.