chapter ~ three

Graduating and my mom

"Oh my child, you've graduated! Wow my baby I'm so proud of you. I'm just sad that your dad isn't here to witness it."
My dad is on a business trip somewhere in Texas.
"He would've been so proud of his baby girl" My mom squeals like child while lunging me in a bear hug. My mom is a hugger and so is the rest of my family. Well my father is one and he somehow rubbed it off on us. Man this woman has strong grip for a tiny person. My mom is about 1,5 or 6 metres. Kinda short and curvy, hourglass figure and such. We could pass of as sisters, she still has that youthful aura radiating off of her. Naturally tanned skin, curly brown hair in a bun and slanting grey-greenish eyes that's so clear and bright. My mom's eyes is her greatest asset cause it leads straight to her heart showing her emotions. She's so passionate and warmhearted person and selfless who wants the best for her children.
Seeing her so happy makes me happy. She means everything thing to me. Her warmth enveloping me causing me to hugging her tighter and basking in her embrace like I did when I was younger. I'm gonna miss her hugs. UGH.Well in the future when I'm leaving her doing my own thing but in the mean time I'm gonna stick around. I'm still her baby girl.

"So baby what's your plans. You can take part time classes though.  You know that I'm still pissed that your lazy ass didn't apply sooner and now you're stuck in this town" She asked breaking free from our embrace heading to the couch and sipping on her white wine waiting for an answer.

This woman that's my mom. She's a professor at our college. A highly respected one per say and people expect me to follow in her footsteps like whaaaat.  I'll pass that. But college is not part of my plans right now.  Call me a spoiled brat, I don't care. I've got my whole life infront of me and it's not about me being a lazy bitch. I just wanna take a break from everything and enjoy the little things around such as our beautiful surroundings, crisp blue skies and fresh air. Close call for heaven .

My mom has valid point, I'm fortunate to have  wealthy parents but that doesn't mean that I'm taking all this wealth for granted. My parents had teach us too value what we have and being responsible and not live recklessly. We used to live in America but after the 9/11 attack they both decided that we should go back 'home'. Home were South Africa. My mother's country.

My dad was an executive there and unfortunately their company's offices were in the twin towers. Many people died that day and some still tremble at the memory of it.
Everyone seemed to remember what happened that day but I was a little girl and didnt pay attention to all the buzzed up people. I was too intrigued with the cartoons on television and a tub off Ben&Jerry's. I actually miss that icey treat and my cousin or uncle usually brings me a stash of it once in awhhile when they turn up in the country.
When my frantic mother came into our living room and switch the channels I nearly went into one of my tantrums but the look on my mother's face stopped me. Tears were running down her pretty face and she pulled me from the floor. She held me so close I could barely breath. She held me so tight like I'm the only anchor left. The only thing she said or more like muffled into my hair were
"Daddy's gonna be okay. He's gonna get out there. He's gonna be okay, he'll be fine..."

After that she spoke in a whole other language. I sometimes hear that when she curses us or when she talks to herself when she's tipsy. Her voice became soft and thick and I usually loved it when speaks in her native language.

"Hy sal reg kom, hy sal okay wees, als sal weer reg wees. Ag Here help hom tog. Hou U beskermde hand oor hom en almal daar in daardie gebou. Here ek vra dit nie omdat ek dit verdien nie maar in U Grote en Almagtige Naam. Amen."
Her pleading voice was disturbing and after hearing her saying Amen did I realise that she was praying.
My head instantly turned to the television and that's when I noticed the two towers burning with thick gray smoke clouding and surrounding it. I almost lost my dad and uncle that day but I guess God kept them safe.