Chapter Twenty-Four

'Oh, glorious Leader!' The Conductor said, dancing in a circle, 'you have made me so very happy!' He darted away, leaving the Captain and I alone on top of his cell. He waved his arms as he descended and almost bashed into the podiums as he dove down.

The Captain let out a small laugh as she stretched her arms and sat down on the floor. She crossed her legs and tapped the ground next to her. 'Join me.'

I obliged and ducked my shins under my thighs. The ground was so warm it heated my suit. I noticed something glistening on the Captain's chest and tapped on my own torso. 'I haven't seen that before.'

'This old thing?' Captain Maximova lifted the small bronze medal. 'No, you wouldn't have. I keep it hidden most of the time. I just decided to wear it when I came here.' She rubbed her thumb over the orange metal dangling from her breastplate. 'It belonged to my grandfather. He was the leader of a six-man squad, and thanks to him, all six of them survived the war. They all came home. He told me that blessings like that don't come for free. He said that to be a good leader, you must always be ready to sacrifice yourself.'

I reduced my voice to almost a whisper. 'Did he die? Your granddad?'

'He made his choices,' she grunted. 'I thought that bringing this thing with me would...' she took in a deep breath and splayed out her arms. She leaned on her hands and said, 'I don't know, Fletcher. I thought I'd bring a piece of his bravery with me. The suits are a little...' She pinched her trousers and wrinkled her nose, 'they're inelegant. I am used to more sophisticated wear.'

I giggled at her disgust. 'I never had you pegged as a fashionista, Captain!'

A rumpus started to occur below us with raised voices and the sound of metal being crushed. Captain Maximova dived ahead of me and landed on her belly. I followed her lead and we peered over the edge of the pathway.

Down on the ground floor, The Conductor was dragging a cylinder along the ground that looked like a giant grey cigar. He was begging for Sam, Doctor White and Hoshi to help him, but there seemed to be quite a disagreement about their involvement.

'We have to help him!' Hoshi argued, but Sam's arm kept her away.

'I'm sure he can handle himself, can't you, buddy?'

Doctor White was leaning away from The Conductor's prize, hiding behind Sam's broad shoulders. 'I am definitely not touching any of this alien stuff without a full inspection first.'

'Please, humans, I need your assistance to initiate this piece of equipment.' The Conductor rubbed one of his hands over the cylinder.

'Oh yeah?' Sam said, 'why don't you tell us what it does first?'

'It is easier to show you than explain.'

'That's what you keep saying, but I don't—!'

'Sam, he needs our help!' Hoshi said, wrestling with his forearm.

'And I'm not trusting anything just yet! The last time I trusted an alien, I got a vine around my neck!'

Captain Maximova watched the scene furtively. She rubbed the back of her neck and then got to her feet. 'Hoshi, you can help our host,' she announced as she teetered near the edge. Before Sam could argue with her, she shot him a look and said, 'I know. Just let her. I'm interested in seeing what this thing does.'

The Conductor wrapped his willowy fingers over his hands and hopped on the spot as Hoshi approached his cylindrical machine. 'I have noted that humans enjoy watching events. This machine will provide a suitable spectating arrangement.'