Chapter Twenty-Three

It took about twenty minutes for the Captain to arrive. In the time it took for her, and the rest of the crew, to get to us, The Conductor had checked his podiums twice and lathered some of the medical paste onto his own body. Sam and me said nothing as he washed himself over and over.

'How come you don't scream and shout when that stuff gets on you?' Sam said, pointing at the slop dripping off The Conductor's shoulders.

'I've experienced worse,' The Conductor sneered.

'Huh. Good for you, I guess.'

'Sam,' I pointed at the entrance, 'the Captain's here. Look like you're doing something.'

Under the soft blue light, the Captain emerged from the archway holding two poles in her hands. She strode ahead with Doctor White behind her. Hoshi lay between them on a makeshift stretcher made from fabric and rods. Her head jiggled with every step.

Jaq brought up the rear with a lumbering pace. I'd never seen her face look so gaunt. Dark bags had collected under her eyes and her usually red lips had faded to a dull pink.

'Campbell, on me,' Captain Maximova barked, 'take care of Hoshi whilst I talk to this thing. Fletcher, with me, I may need you. Jaq, you come too.'

'Aye, Captain,' Sam swept past me and ran. He grabbed the stretcher and grunted at the weight.

'Captain,' I said gently, 'I assure you, that won't be necessary, The Conductor can speak perfect English.'

'Oh, I know. It's what it doesn't say that's worrying me.' Captain Maximova inspected the room and puckered her lips. 'It's a little bare in here, isn't it? I was expecting much more.'

'Captain...' I started. Her cavalier attitude made me clench my fists.

'So where is it?' she clucked, 'this alien who's going to make Hoshi better, where is it?'

Right on cue, The Conductor barrelled down the spiral platform and ploughed to Captain Maximova. He plucked her hands and held them in his own. The slit on his palm rubbed against the Captain's wrist. 'Oh, bountiful, gracious day! It is a joy to meet you, Leader!' The Conductor leaned and rubbed his neck against the Captain's thigh.

'That's quite enough thank you,' she said, tugging her hands away and straightening her clothes.

'Reclamation, Leader! Reclamation must occur!'

'So you keep saying.'

'Oh, it must, it must! We have little time to act, Leader.' The Conductor danced on his feet. He scuttled away from the Captain and waved his arms. 'Come along, come along!'

Captain Maximova laughed. 'We're not doing anything until Hoshi is healed!'

The Conductor's expression collapsed and the wrinkles around his beady eyes swelled. 'But, we must--!'

'I'm the Leader, yes?'

'Of course!'

'Then I order you to fix my crewmember. Once that happens, we'll talk about your wishes. Understood?'

The Conductor hauled up one foot and banged it against the floor. 'Your priorities are illogical.'

'Illogical or not, you're going to bend to them, so either fix her, or we leave.'

The Conductor muttered something inaudible and then struck the nearest podium with a single finger.

Another hose fell from the roof. It swung around and situated itself above Hoshi's head. A long spurt of white goo doused her suit and coated her entire body. She was soon encased in the slime.