Chapter 3

After I was done puking all over the coffee table and floor I scrubbed what I could up and went to the bathroom to clean my mouth out. I couldn’t believe that I just did that. Why? It was because I couldn’t handle confrontation from him. I never could. My stomach was still turning when I sat on the toilet to buy me a few minutes to hide from Chace while he was out in the living room waiting for me so we could continue our talk. I didn’t know if I could or not though; I might just puke on him the next time. He had every right to be mad at me for not telling him about Ella, but I couldn’t handle him being mad at me. I couldn’t handle him hating me and never wanting anything to do with me ever again, but now it was too late; at least Ella would have him.

I stood up and brushed my teeth and put some cool water on my face. It made me feel a little bit better but I still wasn’t ready to leave the bathroom just yet so instead I sat on the floor opposite of the sink with my back against the wall and pulled my knees to my chest. I laid my head face down on my arms and closed my eyes. I must have been in here forever by now, maybe he left. I doubted it though; he was extremely stubborn and didn’t give up easy. A knock on the bathroom door scared me and I couldn’t help but yell when I answered.

“Are you alright Rainey, You have been in there awhile now.” He spoke low as he turned the door knob and opened it. I should have locked it.

“I’m fine. I will be out in a minute.” I hid my face back down on my arms as he shut the door and sat down next to me on the floor. I couldn’t hold it in, I began crying. I hadn’t even realized that I wanted to cry. Oh well it was happening. Chace put his arms around me and pulled me close to him and I molded to his body like I had so many years ago when we had first made love and had again four years ago when we conceived our beautiful girl.

“Rainey, how could you not tell me about Ella when you found out?” He spoke quietly.

“I’m so sorry Chace. I didn’t tell you because I didn’t want to be in the public eye as just a piece of ass and have fan hate, and there was no way I was going to put our daughter through that. They would call her your love child or worse; your bastard child. I couldn’t let her be called those names by the media.” I was still hiding my face and sobbing like a baby.

“You never would have gone through that. I wouldn’t have let it happen, but you never gave me a chance to be there for anything. I deserved to be there for everything.” He loosened his grip but left his arms around me. “I want to be a part of her life Rainey. I am going to be a part of her life from now on. I don’t want full custody or to have any legal battles of any kind. I am not going to demand a DNA test because I know you better than that and you can look and see that she is mine so can I have my name added to the birth certificate?”

“Yes. I can add you to it and I don’t care if your there for her I just don’t want her in the press or called names by them.”

“That’s fine. I’m glad we got that worked out. Now I can start being daddy. Does she know me?”  I shook my head ‘no’. “Oh, I see.”

“I didn’t want her telling anyone at school or her friends when she got older who her dad was because I didn’t want her called a liar. If you wanna come over tomorrow I will introduce you to her.” I looked up at him and took in how much I truly missed his company. He was after all my best friend for most of my life.

“It’s fine, I will be here tomorrow. What time?” He looked down at me, his face just a breath away from mine and my mind drifted back to the last time we were together.

It was New Year’s Eve and it was cool out so we went to a party at a hotel so we wouldn’t have to worry about getting home. The hotel was packed with partiers from wall to wall so we squeezed past everyone and made our way to the banquet hall. Chace was ahead of me holding my hand, he glanced back at me and I couldn’t control my slightly intoxicated mind. I let out a big laugh tossing my head back. Chace was wearing big orange neon glasses that were formed in the shape ‘2009’. He stopped and walked back to me with a big grin as I continued to laugh. He leaned in my ear and spoke just loud enough for me to hear him over the ruckus.