Chapter 4: The Pool

Before we even entered the building, I was already having a difficult time getting Pewdie to follow me. The man was trying his hardest to get a look at the pool that could be seen from the outside. It was empty as far as he could see, no children with their parents or old folk doing aerobics. I mean, it was getting rather late so it made sense.

"We need to go swim before we go to bed." Pewdie demanded, icy blues almost twinkling against the window's reflection. I lifted by bag and shifted it, grabbing my friend's hand to give it a nice tug. He was almost like a dog now that you think of it.

"We'll go, but we have to get a room first." I laughed, giving my arm one more forceful pull and prying Pewdie from the window that now was covered in warm condensation. He frowned slightly, bottom lip suddenly curling into a childish pout. "Alright fine."

The two of us ambled into the front doors and I didn't even notice I had my hand wrapped around Pewdie's still. The looks we received from the front desk were anything but normal. "Hi, we need a room please."

The lady sitting behind the large desk was clicking away at her keyboard with a large smirk on her lips. She was young, awfully short with soft green eyes and chocolate waves throughout her hair. "One night?" She questioned, raising her brows. She began fiddling with some paper work beside her, which distracted me for a moment. "Oh.. uh, yeah." I nodded.

"I'm going to assume one bed.." She mumbled, and I cocked my head off to the side. "Excuse me?"

"Would you like double beds or a single?" She rose her voice, and smiled gently. I knew exactly what she was getting at and I could feel my cheeks grow warm. "Uh.. one bed is fine, right Pewds?" I turned my head to get a look at Pewdie, who particularly wasn't paying attention at all. He was off in another world, staring at the lavish fountain across the way. It was a decent hotel, nothing too extravagant or cheap either. I mean, it was only for the night.

"Yeah, one bed." I turned my attention back to the woman, who still had that god damn smirk on her face.

"Name please?"

When asked that question I grew slightly anxious. Even in the outside world I wasn't particularly fond of giving my name. I mean.. it was a secret, just like every aspect of me. I let in a sharp intake of air and exhaled. "Felix, Felix Kjellberg." I answered. This seemed to catch Pewdie's attention, but not like it mattered, he didn't care. The Swede knew my intentions, and I was thankful for him being so accepting of it. Pewdie knew my name, my face, my location; everything. If anything, he would be the only person to know such information. He was my best friend, after all. 

"Alright Felix, here you are." The woman piped up, holding out a pamphlet containing our room key and other sorts of nonsense involving the hotel events. I went to reach out for it until my hand clashed with Felix's in a sudden moment of confusion. "Sorry." I smiled awkwardly, taking my hand back so the real Felix could claim the prize. 

"I hope you two have a nice night together." 

I opened my mouth to speak, but was suddenly cut off by a loud. "Oh we will!" from my Swedish friend beside me. Nothing was ever awkward to Pewdie, but I suddenly felt a handful of emotions swell inside my internal frame. "Come on friend, let's go."

I turned to lead the way but paused, looking to Pewdie to see if he would tell me the room number, but he was distracted once more, forcing me to find out for myself. I took the pamphlet from his hands and fingered through it, fetching our key and figuring out the location.

"Room 109." I read, and tucked the rest of the nonsense into my sweatshirt pocket. "We're located right next to the pool, you lucky bastard." I laughed, jabbing Pewdie in the side. When I mentioned pool you know he was paying attention.

"Fuck yeah!"

I grinned at his excited statement and walked with him down the hall, scanning the labels on the door each time we passed one. "102.. three.. five.. seven.. ah, here we are, nine." I read, and halted when we were at the door. The small map she had gave us was correct, and we were doors away from the pool area. I was surprised Pewdie hadn't dropped his things then and there and ran off.

I slipped the plastic card into the slot until I heard an audible click and ding, and I yanked it out. One turn of the handle and.. bingo, fresh sheets and towels. Pewdie slipped his way past me and sauntered inside, throwing his belongings onto the bed with one swift toss. "Smells nice, huh?" He said, jumping face first into the small pile of pillows. "Ah.. so comfy.."

I laughed softly and shut the door behind me, making sure it was closed all the way before setting my things down as well. "Way nicer than I expected." I commented, walking over to the tv to inspect it before playing with the light switches nearby. There was one for every god damn lamp in the room it seemed like.

"Alright, let's cut to the chase, we going now?" Pewdie said, eyes nearly glimmering. He sat up on his elbows and stared at me, as if he needed my permission. "Might as well, it's getting late." I shrugged and picked my bag up to search for my swimming trunks. When I answered Pewdie was already looking for his as well, and when successfully finding them, he darted for the bathroom. "Last one there gets to pay for dinner!"

I furrowed my brows and let out a sigh, I already knew I was going to have to pay for it. That was fine, not like I really minded. Slipping my sweatshirt off as well as my under shirt and pants, you could say I put them on faster than Pewdie did. Halfway out the door he was wailing in the bathroom, screaming "You slut!" between fits of giggles.

"Catch ya later, Pewds!" I called, pulling the door open and sprinting out. I continued to hear him howl behind me before the door flew open again. The hallway filled with the sounds of booming footsteps and laughter before silencing while the two of us entered the pool area.

The Swede and I wrestled each other into the room, purposely trying to trip and shove each other while the smell of chlorine filled our noses. "I win, I win!" Pewdie chanted, pushing me away until I shot back. "I don't fucking think so!" I grabbed his arms and with one final push, the two of our bodies collided and fell into the depths of cool water. A loud splash rippled waves in the pool and our heads poked up from the surface.

Breathing heavily, I let my arms slip off my friend while our laughter died down. Almost like a beast who had been tamed, he sank back and let the water take him. "Feels so nice.." he cooed, floating just above the surface. I reached for my face and took off my glasses, swimming over to the side to carefully put them away. "I assume we're both going to pay for dinner now?" I grinned.

"Yeah yeah, whatever." Pewdie waved his hand and inhaled sharply before shooting down under again. 

I couldn't see very well without my glasses but it wasn't too bad. I could see Pewdie and his childish self doggy paddling across the pool and that was all that I needed. I shook the water from my long brown locks and floated along, heading towards the deep end of the pool.

I couldn't remember the last time I had went swimming, or even left the house for that matter. If I hadn't agreed to this crazy vacation, I imagined myself streaming, or finishing up some video series I had started. It was fun.. but it was also a job. I had to keep the audience happy.. but sometimes, I wondered.. was I happy? Had I ever been happy?

My musings caused me to stop and place my arms on the pool side to look out the windows. The sun was just setting and the warm colors of orange and red filtered through the curtain-less glass. I just sat there, kicking my legs slightly to keep myself afloat. 

Was I happy.. now?

I let out a sigh and laid my head on my arms, thinking..

Of course I was happy. Pewdie, made me happy.

Out of everything in my life, the goofy Swede was the very thing that made me smile the most.

The very thing that gave me the confidence to wake up everyday and post a video.

He was my best friend.

My one, and only best friend.