Little Things

PROLOGUE

“Are you okay? I’m so sorry! You just jumped into the middle of the road and it’s really dark right now and I didn’t see you!”

Autumn groaned. “It’s okay.”  She tried to stand up.

“Here.” The boy said, extending his hand for help. She took it.

“Thanks.” She muttered.

She had been having  one of those really horrible days. Even though it had been two weeks since she moved to London, she had no friends. The closest one who came to being a friend was a girl named Scarlett. But she was still more of an acquaintance. Her college roommate was a bully when it came to most things. Autumn just missed her home and family.

She had realised that she would have to pay a lot more than she had anticipated and if she didn’t, she would lose everything she’s worked for. She was tired of looking for a decent job which would pay and which would not disrupt her plans of studying. She had realised that university life was going to be a bitch.

She had given up hope of finding any work, she had been looking for a week after all. As she was walking back she had gotten a call from her mum who was being overly worried about the prospect of her daughter being this independent. On her way , she had spotted a book store, but when she had gone in she had realised that she couldn’t spend any money on books for now. So, disappointed and annoyed, she had begun walking back to the dorm room when a car almost crashed into her. Luckily, the driver had managed to stop just in time. But, the car had hit her and she had fallen down.

She couldn’t see the driver’s face properly, but she heard him asking again “Are you okay? Do you need to go to the hospital?”

“I’m fine. It’s just a scratch.” She said, pointing to the gash on her knee.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes.”

“Again, I’m really sorry.”

“Don’t sweat it. Things like this happen all the time.” She said, smiling briefly. He moved a step forward, which resulted in him standing in the light coming from the small bulb on the road.

He extended his hand again, to introduce himself, although, he needed to introduction. “I’m Zayn.”

Autumn was shocked. She was a fan, she really was. She loved their songs and could relate to them. She had spent countless hours listening to her best friends going on and on about them. On occasion, she had joined in too. She had always imagined meeting someone from One Direction, but just not in this way.

“I know!” she said. She shook his hand. “I’m Autumn. I’m a big fan!”

He smiled acknowledging her compliment. “That’s a nice name.”

“Thanks.”  There were a million things Autumn wanted to say. There were a million things she wanted to ask. But, she settled for “Can I click a photo with you, please?”

“I guess so.”

She took that as a yes and brought out her cell phone. A picture was quickly taken.

Then, Autumn said “I should get going. It was really nice meeting you.”

“Can I give you a lift?”

Zayn Malik, offering her a lift. Imagine that. “No, that’s okay.”

“Oh, come on! The least I can do after I almost killed you is drop you home.”

She couldn’t argue. He had a point after all.

They got in.

“So Autumn, what do you do?”

“Just moved here a few weeks back. I’m studying. English Literature major.”

“Really?” he asked, as he was driving. “I would’ve probably done that if it wasn’t for the music.”

He continued. “So, tell me, how is London treating you?”

She didn’t know why, but she felt like telling him the truth instead of the polite ‘It’s good, I guess.’

“Could be better.” She said, shrugging.

“Do tell. We’ve got nothing to do the rest of the way anyway.”

 Autumn  would never, not even in the future, understand why she began telling him everything. It wasn’t normal. She had just met the guy, and he wasn’t even a normal guy. He was one of the most famous people in the world. She was just an average girl who had yet to adapt to her new life.

By the time, her dorm had arrived, she had finished talking about her new life. She had a feeling that Zayn had listened to her, she didn’t know why.

Before she could get out of the car, Zayn said “You know, Autumn. Everything’s going to work out. Just be optimistic. Think of it this way. You’re in one of the best cities in the world, studying what you love. It’s always hard to adapt to new settings. I would know. I travel all the time. I do miss my family and country, but you’ve gotto do, what you’ve gotta do!”

This made her smile. He was right.

Before driving off, he took her cell number. “I need to see how it turns out for you now! I can’t do that without your number!” he said cheekily.

And that is how this unlikely friendship began.