Chapter Seven

Lily and I spent all of Sunday sitting around on the couch watching crappy horror movies with bad actors and pigging out on food. We decided not go out because we were still both recovering from the hangover and we started college tomorrow, so we'd rather spend our last day being lazy.

I could faintly hear the ringtone of my phone in the distance. "I'll be right back, i think my phones ringing" I told Lily.

"Sure, hurry back though there might be a scary part!"

I laughed. "I'll be as quick as I can, it's probably just my mom." 

I picked up my mom and looked at the call display.  The Mom contact was showing up on my screen. 

"Hey, mom." 

"Hi, dear! How's the apartment? And your roommate?", she asked me. She sounded the same as she always has, it was comforting to hear her after being so far from home even if it's only been a few days. 

"They're both great. The apartment is a decent size and me and my roommate get along really well." 

"I'm so glad to hear that. When's your first day of college?"

"Tomorrow."

"Did you get your schedule already? Do you like your classes?"

"Yes and yes," I tell her, laughing quietly. I paced back and forth while talking to her. I can't stand still when I talk to someone on the phone, I have to be walking around or fidgeting with something. 

"That's good, I'm glad to hear it. When's your first holiday or break?" she asks me eagerly. 

"I have no idea, mom. College hasn't even started yet."

I heard her sigh. "I know. I just miss you. I'm not used to you being so far away without me there. And don't say it's like that time you went to Europe because that was different. You didn't move to Europe."

"I know, mom. I know. I promise I'll drive down and visit you guys every break and holiday," I reassured her.

"Alright, Bree. Well I'm glad you like your apartment and roommate. I'm going to call you tomorrow again and I want you to tell me how your first day of college went."

"Sure thing, mom. Love you."

"I love you too, Bree. I hope you have a good first day! I know how nervous you get on your first day of school, whether its first grade or college" I can hear the smile in her voice as she talks. 

"Thanks mom. Tell dad and Alex I love them and miss them!"

"I will. Bye sweetie."

I smile, pressing the End Call button on my screen. I really miss my mom but I needed to go away for college because I needed to find my independance. I couldn't rely on my parents forever.