Introduction

Continuing where the movie left off...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jack and I sat on the mountain all night, gazing at the moonlit sky. We hadn't talked much, we didn't need to. He held me in his fragile arms, and the last I remember I was barely managing to keep my eyes open. I fell to a peaceful sleep, feeling safe and happy to be in his arms at last.

The next morning I awoke in Jacks bed. He must have carried me to the house after I fell asleep. A shiver ran through my body. It was always cold in Halloween town, especially the mornings, considering it was always autumn weather. I wrapped the stitched quilt around myself and started down the creaky wooden stairs, I saw Jack lying on the couch. He was so tall that from his knees down were dangling off the end of the couch. The creaky stairs caused him to wake up and he glanced up at me and smiled. "Did you sleep well Sally?" I nodded. "Good, would you like something to eat?" I smiled and said "Why don't I make some soup to warm us up?" He nodded and walked me to his kitchen. I put together a nice pot of babies breath soup while Jack started a fire in the fireplace by the couch.

I walked in with two bowls of soup and we sat together on the couch sipping on our spoons for a few minutes. Jack broke the silence. "Sally how would you feel about staying with me, living here?" I replied, "I'm not sure my master would allow that..." Jack looked forward to watch the fireplace with a blank face "Sally I'm not sure how to say this but since he's made his new creation I'm not sure he's too concerned where you are anymore, besides you always sneak away anyways." he chuckled a bit at my defiance. "I suppose you're right." I said calmly, although in my mind that made me a little sad, I hated not having freedom, but now I feel a bit unwanted. Jack must have read my mind when he responded, "You're always welcome here my dear friend." In a soft tone. I smiled sweetly at him. It was silent again, which didn't bother me. I was more of the quiet type, but I had some questions I couldn't keep in.

"Jack, about these Holiday trees. You said there were more than just the one that lead to Christmas town?"

With a blank face he stated "Yes, I'm not sure what was inside the other doors, but I'm afraid if I were to found out, I wouldn't be content with Halloween town again."

"But Jack, I would be with you. I'm curious to see them. We don't have to enter the doors, I just want to see."

Jack sighed and after a moment he said "I suppose there's no harm in looking."

Jack and I walked outside, he turned to lock the door with a skeleton key, and by skeleton key I mean he used his own pinky finger. I let out a quiet giggle under my hand.

We walked through the graveyard and stopped at a tombstone with the name Zero on it. Jack patted on his leg and called "Wake up, boy!" not even a second later Zero sprung out of the ground and circled around Jacks legs a few times. I always thought Zero was the cutest of ghosts in all of Halloween town, I suppose it's because he's a dog and I have a weak spot for animals. There weren't many in our world, mainly bats and rats. Therefor I've always adored Zero.

Before beginning to walk again, Jack told me we have a few stops to make before entering the woods. I completely understood, Jack is the Pumpkin King after all, the most important being in our world. He comes up with almost all of the ideas to make each Halloween a real scare to remember. In other words, he's a very busy man. I admired his new creativity each year.

I hadn't noticed how closely I was walking next to Jack as I looked up at him and blushed, remembering the lovely night we just had. He smiled at me and it made my heart jump, so I quickly looked away and hid under my hair smiling and blushing as we continued walking through town.

Where we first stopped had completely surprised me and brought a frown to my face "What are we doing here, Jack? What if he makes me stay? Do you not want me around anymore? I'm sorry for asking about the woods if that's why you're returning me home we don't have t-" Jack put his boney index finger to my lips "My dear, I'm not returning you home. My house is your home now. I simply want to talk with Dr. Finkelstein about it, and get a few of your things. Besides, do you think he could say no to a face like this?" Jack made a scary, but playful grin, showing his razor sharp teeth, and I laughed. I then let out a short sigh and said "Alright, let's get this over with."

Jack grabbed for the door knocker which was in the shape of a bat, and banged it against the metal door 3 times. I stood behind him. Moments later, my master, Dr. Finkelstein, the mad scientist who created me, stood in the doorway. He said to Jack "Ah it's always nice to see you." Then he noticed me. His face turned blank. "You were gone for quite awhile this time Sally."

"She was with me." Jack stated.
"I've come to ask you today, if Sally can continue, to stay with me." He continued as his face grew very serious and a bit intimidating.
"I have no use for her anymore, so why not." Dr. Finkelstein said a bit harshly as he looked over at me. I turned my eyes to the ground, I won't lie that did hurt. Jack grabbed my hand and held it in his, making me feel a little better.
"I'll go get her things." Dr. Finkelstein said as he closed the door.

Jack turned to me "Are you alright?" he said worryingly. I still had my eyes on the ground, but responded "I'm fine, I should have expected it to go like this." Interrupting our conversation, the door swung back open and Dr. Finkelstein handed Jack a brown sack full of my things. "Thank you doctor. We'll be seeing you around." Jack said. Dr. Finkelstein just barely waved and walked back inside closing the door behind him.

"Things will be better for you from now on, I'll make sure you're always happy." Jack gave me the most dreamy smile, a very sincere smile. He meant every word he said, and my heart was beating so hard I thought it would pop out of my chest. Although if it did I could just sew it right back in.

I grabbed his hand and we walked through town some more, with Zero still following contently behind us. We walked home to drop off my things, and then Jack stopped at the mayors to go over a few plans. When he was done there he came over to me and Zero sitting by the fountain in the middle of town and said "Alright, nothing more to do but head for those woods, are you ready?" I smiled and nodded and then we walked out of town.