Chapter 4

ok.. ok.. i know i am WAAAAAAYYY behind in updating and i am so so so so so sorry, but thank you to all those who have continued to support this story and i promise to upload more often.  xx

Chapter 4

I had decided to stay on the ship as a crewmember, and the captain, as I soon learned who was named Hypatos, took me on land at the first stop of our voyage to find me a fitting wardrobe, as a Lady I cannot be walking around in rags. The dresses were divine and fit like a glove. I had never owned such divine dresses; I had always made my own clothes.

Habel and I had also become quite close and my heart swelled every time he was near me. I had grown quite fond of him, and it seemed he was growing fond of me in return, but I always told myself it could just be my girlish fantasies getting out of control, I wished not to get high hopes about such matters.

Captain Hypatos never made me work on the deck with the rest of the crew; he said it would not be fitting for a Lady to do manual labour with the men. Instead, he kept me as an apprentice, he taught me the ropes of being a captain how to read and write and navigate the ship using maps. I stayed by his side for the majority of each day listening to him and learning extraordinary things, he said it was the beginning of a revolution, for a woman to be captain of a ship and sail the high seas side by side with men, as equals. I found it thrilling watching the captain gush about such things, but to my dismay, I knew that the first mate did not agree, and had other plans for this ship and its’ crew.

When I was not following the captain around I would wander the ship with Habel right behind me, he was becoming more and more like a shadow nowadays. We spoke rarely, only uttering small sentences at most.  He would ask if I was hungry, thirsty, or tired and I would reply with a simple yes or no, and at night, Habel would escort me to my quarters and stand at the door and say, “Good night milady, may the gods smile down upon you and let heavens’ angels watch over you while you dream.” Then he would leave me alone with my thoughts for the night.

I had gotten used to this routine, we were stuck in this same loop for four weeks. Four weeks of the same thing every day and I was going out of my mind when we reached the second stop of the voyage. Most of the crew escorted the captain and the first mate ashore to get supplies and sell what they had to sell. I however, stayed aboard the ship in the captains’ quarters reading a book he requested I read, while Habel sat in the corner, concealed in the shadows and watching me. It annoyed me how he would constantly watch me but never spoke. I sighed and slammed my book shut.

“Is there something wrong, milady?” Habel asked from his seat across the room.

“Habel, why do you hide from my sight? Why do you follow me around but refuse to make civil conversation with me?” I asked him. I needed to know why he was acting so distant.

Habel smiled and shook his head as he got up and came over to sit on the desk in front of me. He leaned forward, his face inches from mine.

“I beg your pardon milady, but am I correct in thinking that you desire more than just an acquaintance from me?” he purred. His voice was low and husky; it made my heart falter for a moment. I blushed and looked down at the book in my hands. Habel lifted my chin with his fingertips so my gaze met his resulting in me blushing even more, my face going crimson.

“Milady if more from me is what you desire; all you have to do is say the word. As the captain said, I will tend to your every need, and we all know that the captains’ word is final.” Habel then got up and walked towards the door to leave.

“Please Habel, I-I want you, I want you to be more than just an acquaintance.” I confessed making him stop at the door and turn around to look at me.

“Is there anything else you desire, milady?”

“Habel, would you please, kiss me?” and with that Habel crossed to cabin to two great strides and took me into his arms, my face so close to his.

“Your wish, is my command… milady.” Then he planted his lips on mine, ever so softly. It was like butterflies dancing across my lips. His lips were so soft and his stubble tickled me. He tasted salty and sweet at the same time, and then it was over.

                                                                                       ***

I sat there in the cabin in a daze for a while staring at the door where Habel had disappeared and repeatedly reliving the kiss in my head. A deep red blush slowly spread across my cheeks and I smiled to myself.  Habel had kissed me.  He really truly kissed me.  I sighed like some silly schoolgirl and touched my still tingling lips.

I looked down at the book in my hand and tenderly touched the worn binding, if only my mama could see what I had become; I knew she would have been proud of me. I had grown up without a mother, my father never told me what had happened to her, and as I got older, I had just learnt to accept the fact that I would never know what happened to her.

A soft knocking on the door stirred me from my thoughts. I shook my head to clear the lingering repressed feelings and went to open the big mahogany door to the captains' quarters and there stood Elivah looking stone-faced and looking at me with nothing but coldness in his eyes.

"Miss Ava, the Captain has returned from shore and requests your presence on deck." He said and with that he turned and stormed off.

Captain Hypatos was waiting for me on deck with Habel by his side. I joined them and curtsied slightly and Habel smiled and winked at me, making my face grow warm.

"Ah, there you are Ava!" Hypatos exclaimed, "I thought you might like to come ashore with Habel and myself for the afternoon." He posed this more as a statement rather than a question, and when he spoke like that, you can't refuse.

"Of course, Captain. I would be delighted to accompany you ashore."

"Wonderful!  We do not set sail again until the 'morrow so you shall be staying in an inn for the night," I opened my mouth to protest but he cut me off, "no, i shan't hear it, you are a lady and I will not expect you to stay aboard the ship with the crew. You will stay at the inn, and Habel will accompany you to ensure you return to the ship in the morning unharmed."   

****

 I slipped into the tub and sighed as I felt the hot water relaxing my muscled and washing away the dirt and grime.  Yes, I had been able to wash myself on the ship, but it had been a while since I was able to have a warm bath, I closed my eyes and let my mind wander as I sunk lower into the warm water. The Captain, Habel and I had spent the afternoon exploring all the little stalls and shops in the town; the place was alive with people, colours and noise. I had very much enjoyed it.

I heard a soft knock on my door, and in burst a little old woman, the innkeepers’ wife, she looked very worn and frail as she carried a load of towels fresh linen for my bed.

“Miss Ava, Mister Habel has requested your presence in the courtyard once you have finished taking your bath.” She said as she tittered around fixing things here and there. She reminded me of a sparrow, how they constantly hopped and moved from place to place.

“Okay, Thank you.” I replied and got out of the bath and grabbed the towel off the top of the divider that offered me at least a little privacy; then, wondering what Habel could want, I got dressed and went down to meet him at the courtyard behind the Inn that lead off to the beach. 

okay ok i know, I updated this chapter like 3 times the last 24 hours.. and I'm sorry. but the story just kept flowing and i couldnt seem to break it off and start a new chapter, but this is the end of this chapter.. i promise :)