Chapter 1

• Dedicated to Serena Morris

This book is dedicated to my mother, Serena. She has helped me through tough times and has encouraged me to keep my writing going. Now she is going through a hard time herself, I hope this book helps her through it.  I love you mum.

*Authors note* welcome everyone to my first published work. i will update as i write each chapter.

Here's an interesting fact for all of you: all the names i have used are greek names, because i havent mentioned it yet but that is where the story is set.  Also, the title "Sirenia" (pronounced Sie-renn-nia) is actually the name of the order that mermaids are a species of. i thought it would be a very fitting name for such a story as this! :)

anyway, the story awaits!

P.S. *DISCLAIMER* i do not own any pictures used in the side bar for the characters, they are only there as a rough guide line of my idea of the characters' appearance.

 Chapter 1

I’d been on board this ship about 3 weeks and I had managed to stay hidden from the crew so-far, but it was beginning to get harder to do so in the last couple of days. We were about 2 weeks away from the first stop on the ships’ voyage and food supplies were beginning to get lower and lower, making it harder for me to sneak rations for myself undetected.

I had originally stowed away on the ship to hide from my abusive father, I had gone down to the docks to watch the ocean instead of staying home doing my chores, as I have so often done before. I knew if he found me he would have beaten me, but I just couldn’t help it; I loved the sea!

I stared out at the ocean, my brown eyes reflecting the vast blue before me; the wind biting at my ankles like a rabid dog and dancing around the hem of my long, white dress. I closed my eyes and let my other senses take over, the taste of the salty air, the smell on the wind. It was the smell of freedom!

I reached up and took out the clip that was holding my hair up in its’ neat up-do and let my long dark brown hair blow around me. I loved listening to the sea breeze and letting it blow my hair around my face, it tickled my nose and I felt like the ocean was talking to me, beckoning me to join it in the quiet depths below my feet.

My father didn’t approve of me being down at the sea-side. Ever since I was a child he would always tell me tales of men being killed at sea by beautiful but evil sea creatures and that if I was not careful,  too would be pulled down to the depths of the ocean by one of them, never to be seen again.

So, when my father found out I was not home that afternoon he instantly knew I was out at the docks again. 

“AVA!” my father screamed while running through the little town I called home. I could see the fury in his eyes as he ran towards me. I knew then that I had pushed him too far and that if he caught me he wouldn’t wait until we got home to beat me. Father would have done it right then and there for all to see.

“AVA!” he screamed my name again, “AVA! COME BACK HERE!” he commanded with such malice in his voice it chilled me to my core. 

“Papa, NO!” I yelled as he came running up the dock and I scrambled up a rope onto a ship just setting sail, holding on for dear life as I watched my father skid to a stop at the end of the dock nearly falling into the water below.

And as the ship sailed away watched the little town I called home and my father cursing and yelling at the end of the dock, slowly become further and further away until I could no longer see it in my sight.

Hanging onto the rope hanging from the ship I tied it around my waist as best I could to stop me from falling into the sea. It was windy and it was cold hanging there holding on for dear life and hoping none of the crew saw me.  I don’t know what they would have done if they had found me.

I waited there until the crew quietened down; I guessed they had gone down to sleep. I slowly crawled up that damned rope, my fingers screaming with pain from the cold, up to the top. I peeked around the see if the coast was clear, and when I saw no one, I quietly pulled myself onto the upper deck.

Not knowing what my fate would hold if I was found trespassing, I decided I’d try and hide until the ship stopped.

So this is where my story starts, cold, hungry and hidden amongst a mountain of ropes, barrels and rations.

I could see up onto the middeck through a grate in the floor, so I had become intrigued in watching these men. I had remembered a few of their names.

The oldest of the men was named Alexio; he was a short, but strong man, aged well into his fifties; his hair long and sticking to his face and bare back with sea water and perspiration, was charcoal black but starting to grey, he didn’t scream orders or talk much, I noted, he just kept quiet and did his work with a merry expression on his face. Even though he never said much, the rest of the crew seemed to be a little afraid of him.

I had been watching Alexio for a few days, wondering why he was on a ship filled with such young and undignified men. He wasn’t a figure of great influence or importance on the vessel, but I figured he had travelled these seas many times. He moved about the deck doing his duties with such fluid motions and certainty it was clear he had seen the oceans’ waters frequently.

Another man on the ship was not very built, but his muscles were well defined and he was tall. He towered over many of the other crew members. His hair was a sandy blonde colour and was always tied back and under his hat, so I couldn’t be sure of how long it was. He was a beautiful man, I watched him for days, until I finally found out his name.

“Habel! Help me with the sails!” a man up on the sails called to the beautiful man. So Habel was his name. I gushed silently to myself. What a fitting name for such a person! I watched him especially closely for the next few weeks, longing to talk to him, to let him know I was here but daring not to utter a word for fear of the rest of the burley, unruly crew members.

 Don't forget to

COMMENT

FAN

VOTE!!!

:)