YOU HAD YOUR CHANCE - CHAPTER 2 - Surprise

CHAPTER 2:

MICAH'S POV:

Senior year is finally here. One last year left of high school, and then hopefully I'll be off to State with a soccer scholarship. As I get ready for the first day of class, I think about Lily. I talked to her brother, Ben, last week and he said that she would be back for Senior year.

I still feel bad about breaking her heart. I had no idea she felt that way about me. We had been best friends since the first grade and I love her like a sister.

She avoided me the rest of the summer before Sophomore year and I didn't find out until summer was over that she had taken off to Italy for Sophomore year as an exchange student. When she didn't come back for Junior year either, I felt even worse. I couldn't get past the thought that she was staying in Italy because of me. That it was my fault. When I talked to Ben about why she was staying a second year in Italy, he was pretty vague.

I need to talk to her. To apologize for hurting her. Tell her that I still want us to be friends. I miss being able to tell her anything. I haven't had that with anyone else since. I miss her goofiness, she was always like a hyper little ball of energy.

I resolve to get to school early, so that I have a chance to talk to her. I quickly throw on a Modest Mouse t-shirt, jeans and my black Converse. I grab a breakfast bar and Powerade from the kitchen and take off towards the school in my truck.

When I pull into the parking lot, I park up front, so that I won't miss Ben's Explorer when they get here. I get out of my truck and lean against the hood. After awhile, more people show up and I am hanging out with a bunch of friends.

When Ben pulls into the parking lot, I see that he is alone. Maybe Lily didn't come back from Italy afterall. Ben gets out of his truck and I wave, "hey Ben!" He looks up at me and comes over.

Before I can ask Ben where Lily is, I hear Avery say, "holy shit!" I look over to where everyone else is looking and see a silver Maserati GranCabrio park not far from where we are. The license plate says 'MiaAmore'. After the driver parks the car and steps out, Avery says, "holy shit!" again.

http://www.maserati.com/maserati/en/en/index/models/GranCabrio.html

I am thinking the same thing, as are probably every other straight male in the vicinity. Out of the expensive Italian car, comes what must be a supermodel. She has long blonde hair and a hot body. She is a little tall for a girl, probably 5'8" or 5'9". Something about her seems different than other girls in high school. She dresses different, like girls on the cover of fashion magazines and there is even an air about her that is different, sort of like a mixture between confidence and disinterest.

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=14422086

All of us guys are staring with our mouths hanging open. When I realize this, I quickly shut my mouth. As she passes by us, she doesn't even glance our way. That is, until Ben shouts, "Just ignore me, why don't you? I don't care what you say, you're letting me borrow your car!"

She finally glances back over her shoulder at our group, locks eyes with Ben and with a smirk, says, "You wish." and continues walking.

We all stand there for about three seconds before Ian asks Ben, "Dude, do you know her?"

Ben looks confused for a second and says, "Of course I do, and so do you guys. That's my sister, Lillian, duh."

Twenty minutes later, I'm sitting in first period waiting for class to start. I'm still in shock. No way is that Lily. The Lily I was best friends with for almost my entire life looked nothing like that. Well, I mean, there are similarities. Her once short blonde hair, was now long with bangs. For that matter, her once short, skinny body was now tall and curvy. The blue eyes are the same, but the rest of her face is a little different. Two years ago, her face was thin, now it is filled out and, I have to admit gorgeous.

It's so weird, it's like she is a whole different person. What's even weirder is that she didn't even acknowledge my presence. For her being at one time in love with me, she seems pretty oblivious to me now.

"Earth to Micah!" I look up to see Sabrina standing right in front of my desk, trying to get my attention. I grimace, knowing what's coming. Sabrina and I have been on again-off again for the past two years. I try to be a good boyfriend, but she is always demanding more from me. More time, more attention. Either, I am not spending enough time with her, or I don't love her enough. I mean, I think I love her, but we break up so often, that one of these days, I just feel like not getting back together.

"Hey babe," I tell her.

"Whatever Micah! We'll talk about this later." Great, lucky me.

She takes a seat next to me and starts chatting to her friend, Tisha. The teacher comes in and starts writing on the board. Right before the bell rings, Lily walks in and takes a seat in the front of the classroom, near the door. Again, she doesn't even acknowledge my presence. I'm starting to get annoyed.

The whole class is quiet. Our teacher, Mr. Garcia speaks up, "It looks like we have a new student, Miss Sweeney, will you please stand up front and tell us about yourself."

Lily gracefully stands up and walks to the front of the classroom, with an amused look on her face. "Well, I wouldn't exactly say that I'm a new student. My name is Lillian and I went to school here Freshman year with most of you. I've just been studying in Italy for the past two years."

She starts to walk back to her seat, when Mr. Garcia says, "How interesting, why don't you share with the class some of your experiences abroad."

"Well, what would they like to know?" she says.

A kid named Dominic raises his hand and says, "Where were you in Italy?"

"I was in Rome," she says.

"Are the guys hot there?" Tisha asks. The class starts laughing.

Lily smirks and says, "They were in my opinion."

"Will you marry me?" Ian asks.

Lily rolls her eyes and says, "Sorry, I can't Ian."

What is that supposed to mean? She can't? I'm still feeling frustrating from her ignoring me, so I raise my hand and she finally looks my way. Our eyes lock and for a brief second, something flashes in her eyes, but it's gone in an instant. She smiles warmly and says, "Yes, Micah?"

I have to think of something, so I quickly say, "Were you excited to come back to the U.S.?"

Her smile fades and she says, "Not really."