Prologue

Hey oh! It's your Psycho back for some more Death Note! This story, as you can tell from my summary, focuses around the life of a blonde haired, blue eyed German 15 year old girl. She lives in America, but her heritage is mostly German. Anyway, her story will be told in third person for now, and the rating on the story may change later, but for now. For now it is like this. FYI, this may not be a romance story (That may change however). This is the story of my OC and how it coincides with my favorite people in the whole wide world. (aka, Mello, Matt, L and Near)

So yeah. You will hear more about her life with her four Wammy boys later, but now I present to you... THE PROLOGUE!! *dramatic music*

P.S. I don't own Death Note

...

(Seven years in the past)

She knelt in the cold and wet of the balcony, feeling the rain running down her face and neck, smelling the dank night air, focusing on anything but the sounds of fighting inside the small apartment behind her. Crashes, bottles-probably beer- shattering and small cries of pain could be heard from behind the closed screen door. There was nothing she could do, and even if there was she wouldn't do it. That would be breaking the rules, the rules so carefully and methodically placed and enforced by her mother. It would be painful to defend her sibling and father, suicide to even think about running away with them. No, she was stuck here, with the taunting children at school, to her mother's rants and beatings, only encouraged further when one of her boyfriends dumped her.

She may have been married, but that didn't really have any meaning to her mother, who would often sneak out to spend the night with some new man. The girl's father was not happy with the wife however. Her husband didn't ever take out his anger on his children, though, like the mother did. He drowned his sorrow in vodka and spirits, but his drunken state was never violent. Depression was sinking in for him, and he was falling fast. However, whenever the poor man confronted his wife about her unfaithfulness, she reacted harshly, slapping him and cursing at him that he wasn't good enough. He eventually gave up.

Then she would spot one of the children. Running was not allowed, nor was hitting back. She had effectively beat every one of her family members into submission. And when one was getting knocked around, the other two would find someplace quiet to wait it out, then sneak back inside, hopefully for a slightly restful nights sleep.

The young girl outside was currently trying to ignore the angry taunts and sneers of her mother and the painful cries of her younger brother. Her father was at work late today- anything to escape the monstrous bitch, he had said one late night. I'll do anything to stay away from her for as long as possible. So her brother and her were alone with their mother.

She was just about to head back inside- the cries had dissipated and were tapering off- when she heard the sickening thud of a body hitting a very hard surface. Stepping inside the door quicker than her mother would have allowed, she emerged upon a grisly scene.

Her brother lying face down on the ground next to the bloody corner of the table, his skull quite obviously split apart, and her mother stood above him, with a feral grin on her face. Slowly, she turned to face the girl, who was now quivering with fear.

"Come here, sweetheart. You're next. Don't worry, mommy will make it fine without you. She won't need to pay to feed you, or send you to that stupid school." The grin slid off, replaced by a glare, and the woman stepped closer. "I won't need to pay, for anything anymore. You'll be gone, then your father, then nothing will hold me back."

The girl was now frantically searching for a way out. Anything. She started when her hand brushed the cold glass of the sliding balcony door. Of course, right behind her.

"Oh no, girly. Mommy still has a game for you to play."

I don't want to play your game. It will hurt and I don't want to hurt. But the girl would never say this out loud. Speaking to mother was strictly forbidden.

So she did the only thing she knew to do.

When her mother closed in two, three, four more steps, the girl spun herself around and wrenched the door open, the cool air whipping her small, blue dress- the only one she owned-  and long, blonde hair furiously. She rushed out to the balcony, climbed the railing, and after a moment's hesitation, jumped.

...

L had been working on a rather difficult case over the past week, and upon reaching a dead end, he decided to head out on a walk. His move to America to visit the scene of the crime was a rather long and boring one, only further worsened by his lost suitcase of candies at the Seattle airport, which he was ninety-two percent sure some sweets loving American border control officer had decided was 'unsafe' and 'should be confiscated for further investigation'.  Lost in his thoughts, puzzling over one scenario or another, he stepped in a small but deep puddle, effectively ruining his shoes. Huffing slightly at his lack of awareness, he squelched a bit farther before slowly processing the fact that he was heading towards a rather poorer side of town. The houses and apartments were rundown, falling apart in some cases, and the streetlamps flickered on and off occasionally.

And with his build and stature, he was eight-seven percent sure that if some drug/alcohol induced violence was to be had, that he wouldn't win in a fight. He was just about to turn around and retrace his steps back to his current hotel win he caught a blue flash out of the corner of his eye. Turning to face the object fully, he was shocked to see a young girl, presumably seven or eight years of age, standing on the third floor balcony rail of one of the apartments. A woman- her mother, he guessed- rushed out of the doors behind her and attempted to grab her and pull her down from the railing.

L looked carefully at the girl's face in the few moments in between the time she climbed on the rail and the time she jumped- which was approximately two-point-eight seconds- and her expression was one of fear and shock and many others like them. The last thing she wanted to do was get brought back inside by her mother. He had seen this before. Not personally, but he'd done cases with abusive parents, and he'd been disgusted every time. Using children as stress relievers and beating them was what L considered one of the worst of crimes, topped only by killing them.

So naturally, L felt an obligation to help this girl in any way he could. Which would mostly consist of getting her to a safe orphanage like Wammy's House or another high potential school. However, when the girl's feet did leave the balcony and she started moving towards the ground, his body moved without his brain's permission, as if on instinct. Rushing forward, and placing himself under her falling body, he was able to take most of the impact on himself, shielding the girl, who was now unconscious, probably fainted. She lay limply in his arms, and he subconsciously clutched her tighter to his chest. She was lighter than he expected so, lifting her higher, he stood straighter and turned toward his hotel, momentarily forgetting that the girl's mother was still on the balcony. That is, until she started screaming obscenities at him and yelling at him to return her daughter to her right now or else she would call the cops. L, of course, having no intentions of doing so, merely glanced up at the furious woman and raised an eyebrow.

"And why should I, when you in fact, are not qualified in any way to take care of her?"

He knew she had heard him, even over the rain. Instead of replying, the mother simply stared, mouth agape, and stuttered incoherently, as if just now realizing the fact of her incompetence for herself. Obviously drunk, L thought. How else could one not have the ability to even produce an intelligent response?

Sighing quietly to himself, L turned on his heel- sending a loud squelch sound into the otherwise silent night- and, holding the child slightly tighter, proceeded down the street in the direction of his hotel.

A/N

Hey, so I think the first chapter came out pretty well. What do you guys think? BTW there is a reason you don't know the girls name yet. In other words I don't actually know what I should call her, so suggestions for her name are so very welcome! The faster I get the suggestions, the faster I can upload the next chapter, because I need a name for her to continue the story. Comment, vote, and read!

Yours crazily,

ThePsychO