Slip Up

Slip Up

    Cupid sat, staring out at the city, crossbow clutched in his hand. Something had happened - he made a mistake, the first since his creation. He was meant to find peoples’ perfect match, bring soulmates together with his arrows, and that was what he was doing.

    This time, however, he had messed up. someone had gotten in the way; he had doomed two individuals to an unhappy love. An empty love, built on mutual lust, lacking a true emotional connection. He was supposed to end relationships like that, not create them.

    With a sigh, Cupid slipped over the edge of the skyscraper, allowing his wings to lift him into the sky. As he continued with his work Cupid kept thinking back to that missed shot. What if he was meant to his the interloper? What if his intuition was wrong? What if he ruined more lives than he helped? What if? What if? What if?

And why?

    Why was he needed if he could make a mistake like that? Why can’t humans find love for themselves? Why did he miss that shot?

    Cupid looked down at the arrow notched on his bow, then at the man it was aimed at. And he lowered it, letting it fall to the ground and disappear. Humans would get along fine without him for awhile, besides it was time for a vacation - he was getting tired.

    With a snap of his fingers, Cupid was gone.