Chapter Two: Who Are You Calling Lucky?

"She what?!" Heather stared at me in disbelief. "That's crazy!"

I was sitting in the school cafeteria, eating lunch (or at least trying to) with Heather and her cheerleader friends. All cheerleaders seem to be curious by nature, and so I was practically forbidden to eat until I had told them the whole story. They listened, wide-eyed, staring at me as if I was part of their favorite reality TV show, and the main character had just made an all-time fatal mistake. Of course in those particular kind of shows, the fatal mistakes mostly consisted of the 'heroine' wearing a hideous shade of green that "did absolutely nothing for her!", or dating a guy who "could never be right for her!". Fortunately those were the kinds of mistakes that I would never make. I'm sure that if I did, my life would be over! (Sarcasm Intended) I found it annoying, because if the show got any more intense than that, or if there were any real issues, most of the girls wouldn't watch it.

"Oh my gosh Kyla, that's so awful!" Allison squeaked. Allison was one of those super-cute, petite, innocent girls who you always felt like you had to protect from something. "I'm so sorry for you." She really looked sorry. In fact, she was so affected that I thought she was going to burst into tears. After making myself a mental note to remind me never to watch a movie with her unless it was a start-to-finish comedy, I patted her hand.

"It's OK, Ally, really." I took a deep breath. At this point I was ready to say anything to get her to calm down. Getting people to stop crying was not exactly my specialty, and I did not feel a need to exercise the non-existent talent. "I bet it won't be so bad. It's just for an hour. I'll survive."

"Well, confidentially," Said Rebecca, a loud girl with an attitude, in what I suspected was supposed to be a confidential tone. "I would trade places with you any day!"

Heather looked shocked. "Becca, why on earth would you want detention?"

"Because she's not the only person who has detention today. There's someone else." Rebecca paused for a dramatic effect, and all the girls leaned towards her in anticipation. "Jaden Powers has detention!"

There was a collective gasp and half of the cheer-leading squad almost fainted. Rebecca looked very pleased with herself. This was probably the first time in her life that what she had to say had caused such a commotion.

Jaden Powers was a Junior and the star quarterback at Jefferson High. He was devastatingly handsome and most of the high-school girls were in love with him. This of course included Heather, who had had a crush on Jaden since she was in fifth grade. On a dare, he had kissed her when he was an eighth grader, and it was something she mentioned time and time again. To hear her talk, you'd would think that it had been the highlight of her life!

It's not that I wasn't attracted to Jaden. I mean, with his wavy blonde hair, piercing blue-grey eyes, amazing smile and six pack, who wouldn't be? But he had a reputation as a player, which was a big deal for a small town like Beaumont, Virginia; and I detested players. Besides, as an only child, he had also developed a reputation for being a conceited, egoistic jerk. Those were qualities that I couldn't stand in anyone.

"OMG, you are so lucky!" Someone sighed. "Just think of it; you'll get to have that six foot hunk of yummy sun-kissed hotness all to yourself for a Whole Hour!" There was another collective gasp and Heather almost fell off of her chair.

"I wish it was me!" She moaned, close to tears. Now this was annoying. She saw him every week at football practice, so what was she complaining about?

"Come on guys, like it really matters?" I snapped. "I'm ready to give a hundred to one that he won't even notice me!"

"What does that matter?" Asked Allison curiously. " You get to stare at him for sixty minutes straight!"

"Ew!" I said this a little louder than I had planned, but I was really surprised that they thought I would actually do something like that. I lowered my voice and continued. "Gross! I'm not some creepy stalker if you hadn't noticed! Why does he even have detention?"

"Um..." Rebecca paused to take a bite of her sandwich. "I think it's because he talked back to Mr. Davis during Chemistry."

"Oh." Well at least this was something that I could understand. Mr. Davis was the male version of Mrs. Howard; in short, a royal pain in the rear.

"You are going to have a blast!" Allison squealed and grabbed my hand.

I glanced over to the table where Jaden was sitting with a bunch of jocks, laughing and talking and winking at girls.

"Yeah, a real blast!" I thought miserably to myself. I couldn't wait for it to be over!