Chapter 2

I woke up at 4:30am to the sound of my little brother crying at my locked door. "Jess.." He said through his sobbing, "let me in!" I got up and made my way to the door. When I open it I find him sitting on the floor hiding his face in his hands.

When I picked him up he jumped like he didn't know it was me but calmed down once he realized who I was. "What's wrong Josh," I ask him calmly, "what happened?" He looks up at me and shakes his head like he doesn't want to tell me. I take him to my bed and we sit next to each other. While he's crying, I hug him tight while he does the same to me. Maybe he had a nightmare?

"It was Evan," he finally tells me. He looks up at me and I wipe his tears away.
"What about Evan this time?" This isn't the first time he brings him up. Evan is his imaginary friend. My brother is only five, so I don't expect him to grow out of this too fast.

"He told me they were gonna get him!"
"Who's gonna get him?"
"I dunno, the green guy!"
"You mean your Hulk toy?"
"No! They come from up there," he points at the ceiling.

Now I'm really confused, what is he talking about? I hold him close and kiss the top of his head, "It's ok at Josh, don't worry about Evan. He's gonna be alright."

"Can I sleep with you.." he asks me. And I make a spot for him on my bed. I need to start getting ready in 30 minutes anyway, but I guess I can stay here until he falls asleep. I have to catch the bus at 6am, and he doesn't go to school until 9am. He cuddles close and I wait until his breathing calms and he sleeps again.

~~~~

Walking to the bus stop isn't really fun when it's cold outside, even when you have a sweater on. My phone buzzes in my back pocket and I check. *Who now..* I think to myself, *Seth. I'll check it at the bus stop.* Cold air rushes to me making me shiver as I put my phone back into my pocket.

Five minutes later and I'm standing at the bus stop texting Seth while I wait for my best friend, Sam, to show up. She's usually here before me, but today I got ready earlier than usual, so I guess that's why I'm the one waiting this time.

---

Seth: Good morning babe😘

Me:😊 good morning

Seth: Sleep well?

Me: Yeah, but Josh woke me up early with his crying again.

Seth: Oh, what happened?

Me: I'll tell you later

Seth: Ok.. Well gtg
Seth: See you later?

Me: Of course Love😘💋

Seth: Ily

Me: Ilyt

---

"Damn Jess," I look up to see Sam standing next to me, "since when do you call him 'Love'? Omg! Sorry Boo, didn't mean to make you blush like crazy!"
"I'm not blushing," I tell her, "Come here though.. I'm cold and want hugs." She laughs and gives me a hug. We pull away when the bus pulls up and we find an empty seat for us to sit with each other, just like every morning for school.

"So," she starts, "how was your weekend with him?" I smile and look at her and before I can answer she tries to answer for me. "No.. You didn't," now she's whispering, "you didn't have sex with him, did you?"

My eyes widen and I shake my head. "Dude no! Nothing sexual happened," I tell her quickly, "Even if his mom WASN'T there.. I still wouldn't of done anything like that." I tell her how I got to know his mom better and how cool she was. Then I told her about the walks in the woods, and the hiding, and the bruise on my forehead, and the pizza, and just everything.