Chapter fourteen; Cool-down

Avvi's SOTS

Later, we sat in the rec room wondering what we were gonna sing next, when the guys walked in.

"Heard you playiiing!" Drake sat down on my other side. "Was somebody BUSY last night?"

"Shut up, dude..." I flicked Drake and turned back to Garret. I could see him frown out of the corner of my eye. Garret was delighted about how I was ignoring Drake and happily kept the conversation running.

"So, I was thinking that if end up with another 'theme" I should do 'Gotta Get Away' or 'Heart-Shaped Box'..."

"That sounds awesome. We actually don't get a lot of Nirvana around here, it's usually some other modern band like Disturbed or something."

"Yikes, Disturbed is horrifyingly bad. What about Offspring?"

I shrugged. "I don't think so. Like I said, stuff like Disturbed is music down here, I guess."

"But Disturbed means no one here has good taste in music."

"I seriously don't get your line between good music and bad music...Skillet? That's another common around here..."

Drake frowned. "C'mon, guys, let's go get that cannon we were talking about last night..."

Clearly seeing that they weren't going to get any fun with me today, the Guys all walked off to do some other stuff, or something. "Skillet is awful too. Korn, Slipknot, Limp Bizkit, they all suck. My line is based strictly on how good the band is. For example, Oasis could be considered talented, but I hate them. Van Halen is extremely talented, but not my cup of black coffee."

"Hm. So basically you hate everything except for nineties stuff?" I took a guess at what he preferred more.

"No, I prefer good music. But there was a lot of good popular music in the 90s. Most of the other decades, the good music was out of the mainstream."

I rolled my eyes. "I still don't get your sense of what's good or not..." I put my hands behind my head and sighed. Garret sighed as well.

"Hair metal, mainstream pop, contemporary R&B, adult contemporary: Crap. Punk rock, underground metal, indie rock, alternative, power pop: Good. Oh, and of course garage rock walks a thin line between good and bad most days. Also, hip-hop is a tenuous middle ground for me, but I can never say no to the Beastie Boys." I furrowed my brows.

"Let me guess, you didn't get a word of that?" Garret asked.

"No...It's just, we should have been called up already." I sat up and looked out the door. "I think they're calling another round right now."

"So... what? Is that Drake or whoever trying to mess with us?" "Drake can't mess with the judges." I walked outside, pulling on my sweatshirt. "I'm gonna go ask Luke for a sec. I'll right back."

Garret snapped one off while I was gone, I'm pretty sure. At least he washed up.

Anyway, have I got some news for him...

"Garret, are you still sore from the fire?"

"No...Why?"

"They said something about letting us sit out due to 'massive injuries'...? They're being idiots. Should we change their minds or no?"

"Hell, no. I want to win this as fast as demonically possible."

"Well, I wanna sing. It's either bribe them and sing now, or go against each other and the winner is the one who gets to the final round. Two thirds of the group have to win, Garret, if we're gonna get out of here, we gotta do something."