1

"Please hurry Bri, I can't get detention again because of you." Jess whispers as she turns towards me.

"Stay quiet or we'll get caught" I tell her, concentrating on trying to break through the metal box.

"Bri, I think someone's coming."

"Give me thirty seconds, I almost have the damn drawer open."

"I don't think you have-"

"Excuse me, why aren't you girls in class?"

My head spins around and I see Jess standing in front of me with fear in her eyes.

"Uh, we're just waiting for an administrator."

The teacher continues to walk towards us. I peak downward, noticing the pocketknife in my right hand and I push it into the slot, skillfully dropping it straight into me boot.

I know that if he gets any closer he will see my markings on the desk drawer.

I glare at Jess, who's still standing perfecting straight, stiff even, looking scared as hell. I know she hates when I put her in these situations; me always dragging her into trouble.

I slide my leg over to cover the marks on the drawer and put on my fakest smile.

The teacher reaches us, looks at us both, skeptically eyeing us.

"Why are you girls waiting for an administrator? Does anyone know you're here?"

Jess's head quickly turns to me and I send a mini prayer to God himself.

Don't speak. Please don't speak

"Well sir, we just needed to ask someone about the format of the finals test. How answers will be taken and small stuff like that." I smile slightly and nudge Jess from the back.

"We just wanted to know what to expect so we can do our very best." She quickly adds.

"Oh, well it's nice to see you two wanting to be prepared." He smiles real big and Jess and I both nod frantically.

"Of course. After all, preparation is key." Jess says.

"Well let me see what I can do." He walks pass us, going over the the drawer my hands just desperately tried to open, and gives a good pull.

"Hm. It's seems like it's locked. Sorry ladies." He tells us, shrugging his shoulders. "As much as I'd like to help, I don't seem to have a key
to access those documents. But Mrs.Quincy, the head lady, does but she called in sick today. You'll have to ask her tomorrow." He informs us.

I quickly look at Jess and nod my head slightly to let her know that we need to get the hell outta here before the administrator notices my wrong doings.

We both thank him and start to walk back down the hallway.

"That was close." Jess whispers. I look at her and smile.

"Sorry" I say, turning my head around to make sure the teacher has went the other direction.

"Tell your mom not to worry; you didn't get detention this week." I smirk as we turn down the hallway towards our lockers.

"If I did there's no way she would have let me went to the party this weekend!" She squeals while laughing.

My smile slowly fades as my eyes drift away from her.

"You did ask your mom right?" She adds, noticing my lack of attention. I look at her with a snotty look.

"Of course." 

"Of course means no, doesn't it. Look, I understand you like to sneak out and all that shit, but maybe if you ask and she says yes, you can spend the night worry free because you did the right thing by getting permission." She shrugs, rolling her eyes.

"Maybe you're right, but I know she'll say no, considering what happened last time we went to a party with her damn permission."

I watch as Jess glares at me. "I know but we can't miss this. Celebrities are gonna be there. This is a once in a life time opportunity."

I close my locker, turning back to her. "Exactly, more reasons for her to say no."

The bell quickly rings and everyone comes scattering into the hallways, desperately wanting to get home.

"I'll FaceTime you later to tell you what she says." I huff, giving into her.

Jess gives me a look and a smile creeps upon her face. "I'm serious, Bri. Ask her or I will."

I raise an eyebrow. "Alright, alright see ya later." I make my way through the heavy doors, leading me to the student parking lot.

"Bye." She yells back.

I walk down to my car, parked in the very back. I get in and let the convertible top down and also turn on some music, slowly starting to back out. 

"Yo, Bri!" My old friend Austin yells, running up to my car.

He reaches it, leaning down against it. "You tryna come over my house?"

I'm taken back by his statement, considering I haven't talked to him for almost a year now.

Reading my expression, he looks back over at his own car, a bunch of boys surround it. "Nothing like that, Bri. A couple of the guys are going and we were just gonna smoke and hang."

I look behind him, eyeing the crowd when i notice a tanned, dark haired boy walking towards Austin's car as well. My eyes follow him as he smiles with his friends, making me notice his all black outfit he's wearing as well.

A car honks from behind me, making me jolt outta my trance. "Sorry, Aust, I gotta go."

He looks back at his car again, noticing my distraction.

"Wait, listen Bri, I know you at Jack had a pretty harsh breakup but it's been almost a year. You guys are obviously over each other, I'm sure he won't mind if you join." He looks in my eyes on last time, trying to convince me.

A line of cars continue to honk behind me as I sigh.

"I gotta go." I say again while pushing my sunglasses onto my face.

He sighs in defeat as he backs up from my car.
"Alright, see you later then." He says softly, sounding defeated.

I smile slightly, pulling off away from him.