Prologue

"No Daniel, it is my fault and I will not tell you anything more than that," said the pretty green-eyed lady with a defiant tilt of her head.

Lord Daniel Stanyon, the Duke of Stoutbridge was in a towering rage. He had been away from Stoutbridge for two years, pursuing women, gambling, racing, dueling, thus earning himself a devil's reputation in London. When he had returned to Stoutbridge, it was only to find his sixteen year old sister Lucy nine months pregnant. It was enough to devastate any brother. Feelings of acute grief, anger and mostly guilt assailed him. He shouldn't have left his young sister only in the care of servants. Now nothing was left but to find the bastard who did this to Lucy and to force him to do the honourable thing. But the difficult thing was that Lucy didnt breath a word about who did this to her.

"Damn, Lucy. How could you do it to yourself? If our parents had been alive, they would have been utterly disappointed in you. I am ashamed to call you my sister. At least tell me the name of the coward who did this to you and left you. I will beat some good sense to him and then you will marry him." Daniel wanted to throttle his sister.

She just looked the other side with tears filled in her eyes. Suddenly she clutched her stomach and cried out in pain. Daniel panicked and helped her to her room. He sent for the family physician and paced restlessly. He put his hands to his head. What did he do to deserve such a blow?

Another scream pierced his ears and he became more and more agitated. The physician and a nurse was with Lucy but he couldn't help but being worried. He felt as if he was a volcano of emotions. After many chilling screams, a silence fell. An ominous silence. Daniel couldn't bear the suspense any longer and burst into his sister's room, There was blood all around her and she was looking deathly pale. The nurse was holding a bundle and cradling it to her chest.  He rushed to Lucy's side and held her hand.

"I am sorry Daniel. I thought that he loved me. I am sorry to be a shame to you. Don't worry, I will not be alive much longer to be a nuisance to you," and Lucy drew a long haggard breath.

"You are not a nuisance. You will not leave me. That is an order," Daniel said with tear filled eyes. Lucy clutched the bedsheets with her hands and closed her eyes.

"Lucy, tell me his name," he shook her.

Lucy half opened her eyes and said, "Lord Oliver Shillings." And her eyes shut forever to the light of the world.

IT IS MY FIRST ATTEMPT IN WRITING A NOVEL SO IT MAY NOT BE UPTO MARK. SO PLEASE TELL ME IF I SHOULD CONTINUE OR NOT. I DON'T WANT TO CONTINUE IF THE STORY LINE IS BAD OR MY WRITING BORES YOU. PLEASE, PLEEEAASSE GIVE ME ALL OF YOURS VALUABLE OPINION