• Chapter Six •

Olivia

The next few days felt like they dragged on. Other than going to class, I spent my time lying in my bed reflecting on what I had uncovered about my father or sleeping. While I could sense Hayley's concern, I told her not to worry about me and sent her on with her friends.

On Friday after classes were finished, my phone rang as I was laying in bed, staring blankly at the television. I glanced down at the screen to see Tyler was calling me.

"Hey," he said softly.

"Hi," I replied quietly. I cringed at how tired I sounded, and buried myself further under my covers.

"How are you?" he asked. Automatically, I shrugged before remembering that he could not see me through the phone. 

"Fine, I guess," I mumbled. It did not sound very convincing.

"Liv..."

"I'm okay."

"I'm coming over there," he stated.

"Tyler I –" He hung up the phone before I had the chance to fully protest. I sighed and sat up. I had five minutes to make myself decent.

I changed out of the ratty sweats I had on and pulled on a pair of leggings, matching it with a long, grey tank top as most of the bruises that painted my arms had were almost fully faded. I brushed my teeth and washed my face. I left my hair in a messy bun and hopped back into bed. I faced the television and stared blankly, not really watching the cartoons flashing across the screen. Though I expected it, the knock on the door still startled me. 

"Come in!" I yelled, remembering I didn't lock the door and wasn't in the mood to get up. Tyler walked in and slightly frowned as he saw me planted firmly in my bed.

"Hey," Tyler said entering the room.

"Hi," I replied.

He sat down next to me on the bed then glanced at the television and then back at me. I avoided his eyes, as his gaze seemed to trace my every movement. Out of the corner of my eye I could see him looking at the faint bruises on my arms, and instantly regretted wearing a tank top. I decided to focus on his facial expressions, to gauge what he was thinking, but his face was unreadable.

"Let's get out and do something," Tyler stated suddenly. My eyebrows knitted in confusion.

"What?"

"We're going out. I'm taking your mind off things, and you out of that bed!" He explained with a small laugh.

"But –" I started but he cut me off.

"No buts! You have no choice, Livvy," Tyler teased, pulling my hand in feeble attempts make me move.

"Okay, but let me change my top first..." I groaned getting up. "Where are we going?" Tyler grinned and gave me an innocent shrug.

***

Tyler took me to the shops on campus, though it took a little more coaxing to get me to walk that far. We fooled around trying on hats and sunglasses, and teasing each other, then stopped for iced coffee at a cafe before walking through a trail in the forest. 

Although I didn't want to go out at first, I was glad that Tyler had decided to force me out. It had taken my mind off of everything for a couple hours and t was so much fun! By the time we ended up back at my dorm, I felt so much better, and warmer inside.

"See? Going out with me is way more fun than watching cartoons," he laughed as we stopped outside of my room.

"I don't know, those cartoons were pretty captivating," I teased. Tyler laughed at that. "Thank you," I added seriously. "You – and Hayley of course – are the first real friends I've ever had. I've never stayed around places long enough to make good friends."

"I'm glad I could be here," Tyler smiled softly. It met his green eyes and made me feel warm inside. There was a little pause before I swallowed hard and spoke again.

"I should catch up on the homework I've been slacking on," I sighed, opening my room door. "See you around?" I asked. He nodded. I kissed his cheek and quickly went inside, closing the door behind me.

Dear Diary,

I like Tyler... and I don't mean as a friend. I mean, I've never felt this way before. I've seen it in movies and books, but I think I finally understand. When I see his face, my heart beats faster. When he smiles, everything seems better. When I hear his voice, I melt. But, he'd never like me back anyways... He's so perfect and I'm nowhere near good enough for him. So we're just friends... I guess.

~ Liv

I shut my diary and tucked it under my pillow before looked out my window, watching the sun set. Hayley, who was in the bathroom when I got back, entered the room shortly after. I pulled my attention away from my window and glanced at her.

"Where have you been all day?"

"With Tyler," I answered nonchalantly.

"Why?" she inquired curiously, sitting down on my bed.

"Because . . . he was trying to make me feel better," I mumbled, looking at my feet.

"Oh. . . that's nice of him," she said. I could hear the smile in her voice though I didn't look at her. I could feel my face heating up. "I think you like him."

"He's my friend." I said innocently, though I secretly wished it were more than that.

"Uh-huh," she mused knowingly. I narrowed my eyes at her teasingly and she grinned. "Oh! Don't forget what you have to do!" she sang. I rolled my eyes and laughed. Like I could forget that I had to set her up with one of his friends – she reminded me almost every day.

Tyler and I ended up conspiring to set her up with his friend, Jesse. He had hazel eyes, brown hair, and was looked like any other typical hot guy. I didn't fancy him, but I had a feeling that Hayley would— and she did. In fact, Hayley was utterly and completely head over heels for Jesse. He seemed great for her and for now, we were both happy.

____________

Author's Note: Hello! I hope you enjoyed this cute little chapter!! A longer one is coming soon! What do you think is going to happen next?