• Chapter Four •

Olivia

On Sunday, I changed into a tight-fitting long-sleeved top that had cut-outs at the stomach, but showed none of my bruises—it was really cute. I put on a pair of jeans because it looked cool outside today. I decided that I'd just take a walk around the campus and explore a few shops in the more central area.

As I walked, I noticed many people giving me looks of sympathy, whispering,  snickering and even some pointing. At first, I was confused and embarrassed, but then I got annoyed and wondered what they were talking about. 

I saw two more people glancing at me as they whispered. It was a guy and a girl I recognized from my maths class, so I pushed the nerves I had aside and walked over to them. They looked surprised to see me approach them, the girl nudging the guy slyly.

"Hello," I started. "I was wondering why you were staring at me?" 

The girl looked a little bit embarrassed, her cheeks flushing with pink, but the guy's face was harder to read. He spoke first. 

"You mean you haven't seen the video yet?" he asked, his eyebrows shooting up.

"What video?" I asked, my eyes widened slightly in confusion.

"The video of you falling down the stairs," the girl mumbled.

"Arms and legs flailing everywhere . . ." the guy chuckled beside her. The girl nudged him again and he composed himself.

"Thanks for telling me," I said dryly, as I walked away, gritting my teeth in anger. When I was far enough out of sight, I took off into the park. My eyes were bleary with hot, angry, tears. I stumbled over to a park bench and sat down.

"Mum? Where are you?" I whispered staring down at my hands. "Why did you leave me here?" I wondered aloud as heavy tears now rolled down my cheeks, wetting my hands that were folding and unfolding anxiously in my lap.

"Olivia?" I heard the voice and knew who it was. I didn't want Tyler to see me like this. I probably looked like a mess. I pretended I didn't hear him and tried to stop crying, which actually made me cry harder.

"Olivia, what's wrong?"

I looked up. 

"I-I . . ." I covered my face as more sobs left my body. I felt him sit down beside me, not touching, but close enough to feel his warmth.

"Come on, Livvy? I know we barely know each other, but you can trust me." I looked into those beautiful green eyes, and saw the same look Hayley had given me the night she saw my bruises. It was odd having people care, or be even concerned for me.

"You already know... It's May." I said, trusting him wholeheartedly. He nodded, and gave me an understanding look. "You saw the video, too," I stated. Tyler nodded again and sighed.

"It was horrible of her to do and I did not find it funny," he remarked. I looked down. "But what were you saying about your mother?" Tyler asked, curious and confused. I was surprised he heard it, but decided to answer him anyways.

"Um . . . she left when I was five," I whispered, playing with my fingers. "It was selfish. I wish she took me with her."

"Oh. I'm really sorry." Tyler said quietly.

"It's okay. It's not your fault. Just . . . never mind," I said, wiping my eyes, then pasting on a small smile.

"Let's go for a walk," he suggested, standing up. He held out his hand for me.

"Okay," I replied, gingerly taking his hand.

The walk was lovely. I found out a lot about Tyler: his favourite sport, movies, kind of music, and even his pet peeves. I didn't talk as much as he did, but I liked hearing the sound of his voice. It was warm and cheery, and it made me smile. Before we left, we exchanged phone numbers so that we could text.

***

I got back to my room at around two in the afternoon. Hayley was sitting on the sofa watching TV and eating popcorn. She looked so relaxed as she snacked.

"Hey!" I said to Hayley as I plopped down next to her on the couch.

"Hey! Where have you been?" she asked, taking her eyes off the television and glancing at me.

"I've been at the park." I responded with a smile. She handed me the popcorn bowl and I took a handful.

"Oh! That's fun! Want to go to the beach?" Hayley asked as I chewed.

"No thanks... I can't," I said shooting her a meaningful look. The last thing the beach needed to see was my black and blue body.

"Right." She clued in. She thought for a moment before she grinned."Okay! How about the bowling alley? It's only fifteen minutes away." 

"Sure!" I replied with a smile.

***

When we got to the bowling alley, I looked around and smiled. I'd never stepped foot in a bowling alley before this, let alone gone bowling. It was like something out of a film; lanes on lanes with people of different skill levels playing. There were disco balls and screens up with music videos playing on them, matching the songs that blared from overhead speakers. There was also a snack bar, and seats behind the lanes for people to eat at.

After renting shoes, Hayley and I headed straight to the lanes. Neither of us was that great at bowling but we were having too much fun to care. About a half hour later, Hayley grabbed my arm and pointed behind me.

"What?" I asked, turning around

"That's Tyler and his friends!" she exclaimed, ogling at them.

"Yeah, so?" I shrugged.

"They are all so unbelievably hot!" she squealed, making me laugh in response.

"It's your turn," I said with a smile. Hayley nodded and turned around. At that moment, Tyler waved at me. I smiled back and gave him a shy wave.

We bowled for a bit, but then I left to go to the bathroom. On the way back, I walked past Tyler and his friends. Tyler came up to me. 

"Hi, Liv."

"Have you been following me?" I teased.

"Hmm . . . It seems more like you've been following me," he grinned.

"No way! I was here first!" I giggled.

"This is my hangout, Angel." 

He just seriously called me Angel. I tried to stop the smile that was creeping onto my face, but of course, I failed. Miserably.

"Whatever you say," I laughed.

***

"You never told me you knew Tyler Fields," Hayley stated as we walked into our dorm room later that evening. I sat down on my bed and shrugged.

"Slipped my mind," I said innocently.

"How does knowing one of the hottest guys on campus just slip your mind?" she glared at me.

"Okay, sorry," I laughed, putting my arms up in defence.

"It's fine. As long—"

"—as I set you up with one of his friends. That's pretty cliché Hayls," I teased her. She smiled and nodded. I rolled my eyes. This was going to be a tough one.

_______

Author's Note:  Let me know your thoughts on Hayley, Tyler and of course Liv! :) Vote and comment! Thank you! <3