Chapter 2

(Dedication for the absolutly amazing cover!! Check it out people it even has like writing underneath!! WOW!! sorry for being the pickest customer ever and thank you the freaking fabulous cover!!! Can't wait to see the one for the sequel!!)

It gets more interesting here :)

____________________________________________________________________________

***Chapter 2***

The Summer Holidays had begun just before we moved and Jack and I were at a loss to know just what there was to do on an island for eight long, boring weeks and we were not slow in telling our parents this either.      Dad’s reply was to go for long walks all around the island and to climb the mountain.  We told him that this sounded too much like hard work.  Mum had a better idea, she told us, that if we were prepared to do the work ourselves, we could redecorate our bedrooms any colours we wanted. 

    We thought that this sounded cool and we enthusiastically set about starting to plan out our colour schemes, Jack decided that he wanted to paint his ceiling bright blue with silver stars and then paint all the walls and the inside of his door black.  Well there really is no accounting for taste is there? 

    I on the other hand decided that I  wanted to paint the ceiling of my bedroom purple, the walls rose pink and the inside of my door cerise.  Rather more tasteful, don’t you think? 

    Work didn’t proceed any further that day as we had to wait for somebody to go to the mainland to buy the paint.  I laughed to myself when I thought about a burly soldier going into the paint shop to buy pink paint, maybe he would ask a lady customer in the shop to buy it for him to save himself the embarrassment.

    The next day Jack and I got up at ten in the morning, which was really early for us two on our Summer holidays to make an early start on our bedroom makeovers, as a red faced soldier had dropped off the required shades of paint late the previous night, having returned from the Mainland.

    After a hurried breakfast we flipped a coin and decided to do Jack’s bedroom first.  We had an awfully hard time peeling off the numerous layers of old wallpaper until we finally reached the bare wall.  We discovered  some writing on the walls,  there was a name,  ‘Albert Smyth’ with the date ‘4th of August 1936‘.

     We ran excitedly downstairs and called Mum up to look at our discovery,  she told us that this could well have been a son of the British Navy Admiral who had lived in the house before us and that the son probably put his name and date on the wall when he was doing the same task as were doing now, seventy two years ago.      Mum got us thinking and wondered if it were possible that Albert Smyth could still be alive today, we all admired the beautiful writing that he had done on the wall which was in a very old, ornate style.  Mum decided to get her camera to take a picture of the writing on the wall before we covered it up again with paint.

    The three of us had great fun painting the room for the rest of the afternoon, Mum did a fantastic job of the ceiling which really did look like a bright starry sky and she even painted a Man-in-the-Moon with a big smiley face.  We were all covered in paint by the time Dad arrived home from work and he asked us if he had missed a paint ball fight, at which, we all burst out laughing. 

    I found it hard to sleep that night thinking about how I would decorate my room the following day and once again I was up really early the next morning and eager to get started.  Jack was a little reluctant to give a hand as he said he was tired from yesterday and that he did not want to paint soppy girl’s pink.  Mum told him that when he got bored doing nothing, he was more than welcome to join in the fun.