Chapter Fourteen

My father took me in to see this doctor right away. He was still shaken from how warm I was. I should be so cold that my touch could freeze something if I wished it to. Instead, I was so warm, I felt like I was hugging Clawd. It was dark outside, now. We had left at about six o' clock. It was now seven. Dad pulled into the driveway of this guy's house and got out of the car. He came around to my side and opened the door for me. I got out of the car and shut the door. I stuck my hands in my jacket pockets. He grabbed my shoulder and steered me for the door.

"Don't be nervous. We're only here to find out what's wrong," he said in a low voice. I nodded. He knocked on the old door of the old house. An older-looking man answered the door.

"Vladimir?" My dad nodded. "Come on in," he said, moving away from the door. He waited for us to make it into the living room before he shut the door.

"She needs an examine. We're having some problems that she needs solved," my dad said. The man looked from me and back to my dad. He raised and eyebrow.

"How do you two know each other?" You've got to be kidding me.

"She's my daughter," my dad said, his accent heavy in his low voice. The man looked at me and then back at my dad. And then back at me.

"You're a spitting image of your mother, you know. Except she didn't have pink highlights," he said. I frowned. He seemed like he hated me, even though he clearly knew who I was. My father looked aggravated already, and we had only been at he man's house for a few minutes.

"Get to the point, Carl," my father said in a hiss. He held up his hands in defense.

"Alright. What's wrong with the girl?" He asked. My father rubbed at his forehead and then explained everything that I had explained to Clawd, Lagoona, and him. Carl nodded, standing up.

"Alright, then. Follow me," he said, walking out of the room. My father followed him and I followed my father. "Sit up here," he said, patting the metal examine table. I jumped up on the table and sat down. Then Carl began an examination.

Throughout the whole examination, he had made noises, whether they were to show he was amused or unamused. My father flipped through the pages of a magazine. I tried my best to ignore Carl's sound. All of the noises were making me extremely nervous.

"Alright. You want my opinion?" I nodded. My father set the magazine back on the end table and looked at Carl. "You're turning," I frowned.

"Turning? Elaborate, Carl," my father said. My eyes darted between the two of them. I had no idea what they were talking about.

"I don't even know how to explain it. But, I think you might be turning back into a human. I didn't think it was possible, though. I," my father stopped him.

"It's not happening. You don't have any proof on anything, yet! She's just fine. I can assure you of that," my father said, his hands clenched into fists, his knuckles turning white. "We're leaving!" He exclaimed. He grabbed me by the arm and dragged me out of the room and out to the car. He tore out of the driveway and we were on the road.

I glanced at the clock. 8:45. I drew in several deep breaths, leaning back against my seat. I caught my father looking at me in the review mirror. We didn't talk, so I closed my eyes. I wanted to fall asleep and forget about the whole appointment. I didn't want to remember any of there things that Carl had said. None of it was true. None of it.

My eyes shot open. I was sweating a lot, my eyes darting around the room. Why had I woken up so sudden? I hadn't been having a bad dream. And why was I drenched in sweat? Vampires don't sweat. I took in several deep breaths, calming myself down. I put my hands on my chest, forcing myself to breathe; nothing was wrong. My hand moved. I took my hands off my chest, shaking.

Calm down, Laura. Just breathe.

I repeated the words that my mother had always said to me. I put my hands back on my chest and, once again, they moved. I stopped breathing, listening for something. A heart beat.

My heart was beating.

BOOK TWO - END