Chapter 15 - Altruistically Selfish

Recap : Annie had a little 'heart to heart' moment with Xavier. At their wedding, Gabriel gave the speech and afterwards got drunk.Afterwards, Annie has a "D&M" chat with Gabriel. During their talk, they are interupted by Annie's ex-boyfriend - Colton Rivers - who Annie hates A LOT (we don't know why yet. Keep on reading and we'll find out why) He tells her he wants her back *gasps*. After that, she and Xavier have a little alone time where they sit on the grass and reminisce about stuff. He asks her "How are you?" and she realises how broken and devastated she really is. 

*Alexander 'the great' (Alex) from chapter 2 for those who don't remember, is one of Xavier's best friends. He makes a reappearence here - just incase you guys forgot about him. 

Chapter 15 - Altruistically Selfish 

She was lying on my lap, her her chest rose and fell in even intervals. My fingers wound themselves through her soft hair, untangling the knots that had collected together. She looked so peaceful, calm. I honestly hoped that she would look like this forever. It surprised me at first, when I felt her head suddenly bump into my lap. I was going to ask her what she was doing, but upon seeing her eyes closed and her breathing even, I paused and let her sleep. I looked back up, taking in the city lights that continually flashed at even intervals, mimicking the stars that covered the night sky.

There was a rustle next to me, and I turned just in time to see Alex take a swig from his bottle of beer. His face was shadowed by the dim lights of the candles, highlighting his dominant features. Despite his weary face, his eyes looked alive. I turned back to watch Annie as she stirred, groaning and moaning.

 "Having fun?" I asked, playing with the ends of Annie's soft hair. 

"If you call chasing a drunk Rossco around and trying to save him from girls who want to slap the heck out of him fun? Then yes, I'm having a blast." Alex replied, sighing and shaking his head. I laughed.  

“She is really pretty.” Alex muttered softly, his eyes watching my hands move gently along the curves of her delicate face. I didn’t reply. “I didn’t think that this would actually happen.”

At that, my eyes snapped up from Annie to stare at Alex, who was now gazing out into the city scenery.

“What do you mean?” I asked, watching him take another swig from the beer bottle.

He shrugged. “You were never the type of settle down, Xavier.” When his blue eyes locked with mine, I understood what he meant. My past. Of course.

“I’m passed that.” I replied, avoiding his intense stare and averting my sight back to Annie, who was still breathing in even intervals.

“You and I both know that this is a very fake wedding.” Alex replied. My fingers, which were tracing patterns on Annie’s arm, paused. How on earth did he know. I struggled to find words to tell him that he was wrong, for him to stop joking around. But I couldn’t. Even if I did lie, he would be able to break through it. Alex, my best friend from ever since forever, knew me well enough to be able to read me.

“How did you know?” my voice came out barely as a whisper. But it was enough for him to hear.

“I’ve known you for long enough to say that that wedding today, was just a show. I also have know you long enough to say that your feelings for that girl is stronger than you think.” He replied. We both turned back to watch her as she shifted, her head turned away from me and her hand threw itself restlessly onto her side in my lap also. Her fingers were slightly curled, as if unconsciously prompting me to slip my fingers into her palm. “You’ll hurt her Xavier.”

“Why do you even care?” I whispered, unable to void the venom out of my voice. My fingers were now aching to touch hers. It was as if her hand was screaming out for me.