*Chapter Four: Lincoln*

Cover Above: Credit to oceanskys for the beautiful cover! Thanks a ton! :)

******************************

~Lianne~

"Using the principles of standard precautions, a nurse would wear gloves in what nursing interventions?"

"Providing oral hygiene," I answered confidently.

"Correct!" Nyla smiled before looking over at Avery. "A nurse is preparing to take vital sign in an alert patient admitted to the hospital with dehydration secondary to vomiting and diarrhea. What would be the best method to assess the client's temperature?"

"Axillary," She answered with a smile.

"Correct. Okay, your turn again," Nyla said, looking at me at the last sentence. "The most appropriate nursing order for a patient who develops dyspnea and shortness of breath would be?"

"Maintain the patient in an orthopneic position as needed." Nyla nodded and looked back over at Avery. "The four main concepts common to nursing that appear in each of the current conceptual models are?"

"Person, environment.." She stopped talking for a couple of seconds as she thought about what the rest of the answer was. "Health and nursing!" She finally said.

"Yes! You both get one more question and then we're taking a break. Lianne, last question for you. In which step of the nursing process would a nurse ask a patient if the medication she administered relieved his pain?"

"Evaluation," I answered and she nodded. She turned her attention back to Avery as she changed the flash card to the next one. "In a recumbent, immobilized patient, lung ventilation can become altered, leading to respiratory complications such as?"

"Respiratory acidosis, atelectasis and hypostatic pneumonia."

"Correct!" I watched as Nyla set down the flash cards onto the coffee table. "Time for a break," She said as she got up from the couch and walked into the kitchen.

"Do you guys want wine?" Nyla asked us from the kitchen. "Sure!" Avery and I both answered simultaneously.

Nyla returned into the living room shortly after with a bottle of Chardonnay in one hand and three wine glasses in the other. She set the wine glasses down onto the coffee table and quickly popped open the bottle of wine, carefully pouring some wine into each of the wine glasses.

I thanked Nyla as I grabbed my wine glass and took a sip from it. "So what time do you leave tomorrow Lia?" Avery asked me before taking a sip of her wine.

"My train leaves at exactly nine tomorrow morning. So I have to get up early and be at Grand Central at eight-thirty the latest."

"So what do you and Derek have planned for tomorrow? A date night? Or something else?" Nyla questioned, winking at me at the last sentence. I playfully rolled my eyes as I let out a small laugh.

"Don't know yet. He hasn't told me the plans for tomorrow but I am pretty sure he has something fun planned for the both of us. And if he doesn't, I don't mind staying in."

"Of course you don't mind staying in," Avery winked.

"Yeah yeah, whatever," I murmured, rolling my eyes as I took another sip of my wine.