Chapter Five:

Eric's POV:

"Pearl Miles please step forward," my voice trembled and my hands shook as I took the ax.  Pearl looked more relaxed than I did at the moment!

"Yes my lord," she picked up her skirts and started to walk up the stairs to where I was standing.  Once beside me I could see that she was trembling also.

"You are sentenced to death for the murder of Anna.  Do you have anything to say for yourself?" I half expected her to cry out and beg at my feet for mercy, but she just grimaced.

"Protesting wouldn't do any good," she responded instead.  "I know that this is what you want, so..." her voice trembled.  "You will get your way in the end."

"Well said," Eva commented from behind me.  "It's tragic that you have such an evil mind to do what you did.  You deserve to die!"

Eva stepped forward and took Pearl's hair in her hands.

"Stop," I demanded at once.  "We will not punish her anymore than death."

Eva slowly put down Pearl's hair and smirked at her.  "You evil thing.  I should never have trusted you."

With that she reclaimed her spot behind me while Pearl laid her head on the slab of stone that would take her life.  I brushed the excess hair from her neck and gingerly laid the ax onto it.  Squeezing my eyes shut I called out:  "Today, the murderer is laid to rest!"

I opened my eyes as I heard cheering from the people around me.  As I went to swing the ax down I heard someone from the crowd yell "Stop"!

I quickly pulled up on the ax again to stop it.  Did I just hear Anna's voice?  Is she alive now?  I turned to see a petite woman climbing up the stairs.

"Release that girl!" she yelled.  "She has done nothing!"

Shock filled my body like an electric zap and I turned toward Eva.  "You saw this woman kill Anna."

"My lord, please listen to me," the woman pleaded.  "I know this person.  She wouldn't hurt a fly."

"And how would you know?" I asked crossly, turning back to the woman.  "How would you know!"

She winced but proceeded to unbind Pearl.  "She's my cousin."