Wondering Shadow

Wondering Shadow

A glade of darkness, a vast grassy field that sees no beginning and never ends. The horizon bares little light, no colour and its only existing inhabitant other than the grey grass and I is a dark figure that lurks in the dark patches of the field appearing in many forms. This figure only taunts me... never getting close, never showing itself to me and the only sign of its existence is when it strikes me from behind knocking me to the ground.

The tears that once ran down my face are no more of fear and have long since all dried up for I did lie cringing, holding my head crying almost every night till I fell to sleep. No wind blows in the glade, the skies may vary but are always shrouded in dark foreboding clouds readying to rain on my sorrow. Even when the rains pores down I do not feel it beating against my skin as I think my heart stopped... for what seems like an eternity ago.

My life is a mere toy, a 'thing', to be played with then discarded... 'then discarded' ...a sentiment that once left me with hope of escape. Walking, always walking, the grim glade in the hope of finding the end, its boundary of which will may allow my escape. I purposely drag my feet to lay a track through the grass so that I never walk in circles as there are no points to focus on... just the grass... just grass that waves in a windless glade. Do not focus on such things... a tear will shed for such a simple pleasure of a cool breeze blowing on my face.

The beast is back... its form? I could not tell you, but it is fast and stealthy as I hear it darting through the long grass. My weapons are my bare hands, the beast strikes... another scar to bare... a collecting forced upon me. My clothes are tatty and torn from each prolonged attack form the beast. I feel only the demons claws as they tear into my heart and soul ripping them out every day before I sleep. The pain is not something I can get used too for I feel my heart being squeezed of its life and my soul being drained of all hope.

It hangs over me when I sit to the food it provides, breathing down my neck through its sharp pointed teeth, glaring at me with its burning eyes. To prolong the inevitable it feeds me food, water to give me the strength to continue a journey that may never end. Long has the days passed where I felt hunger, needed a drink to quench my thirst and now I am nothing but rotting, decaying flesh hanging from decomposing bones.

This is how I see myself, although far from the truth, I have skin that is not yet rotten and bones that may ache but are not decaying nor do they pierce my skin. An image I see in the water I drink everyday... I eat to relieve the pain of hunger and drink so that my bones do not turn to dust as I walk for miles along the glad. Longing for the day of my release from this place I think to myself 'Will the beast finally take my life... or am I already dead and forced to live out the rest of my souls existence in this damnation.

A heavenly luxury that I loved beyond all, to walk the luscious green fields, breathing the calm, clean air and tasting a freedom so rare. Cleansing your mind and soul, I took solace in these moments of freedom and never thought this heaven would become my hell. Once again the beast returns, a silhouette of sheer darkness and this time it walks to me into the light. A grey stone figure of a devilish gargoyle that stands taller than I, possessing no weapon and with no evil intent present I stand before it watching its evil face.

Is this my time, is this the day I have looked so forward to? Still watching the demon, listening to it breath, as it turns away from me pointing to the skies. I see the clouds move revealing a glow of that becomes the sun shimmering a great warmth of light down on me. A great weight has been lifted, I now feel my heart beating and my emotions flaring as I embrace the sunlight.

I feel my body relax, my skin regain its vibrant colour and the movement of the grass that waves in a breeze that I can now feel. I close my eyes embracing the light when death grasp of cold stone squeezes my neck. My eyes wide open to see the creature grasping my neck lifting me from the ground and brandishes its razor-sharp claws. It then thrusts its claws with strength into my body feeling them slowly being pushed through my body and then pulled sharply out.

The creature drops my almost lifeless body to the ground and wonders off into the distance. Darkness dissipates as I watch the demon walk away and I wake in a green field filled with colourful flowers that all waves in the warm summer breeze. Even as I sleep the demon does not loosen its grip on my heart and nowhere I go is safe from it.