The Ghost of Turnabout Present

December 24, 10:23 pm
State Road 42

Fog perspired heavily in the great expanse of the landscape before him. It seemed to be getting thicker the more he drove and his headlights were gradually ceasing to cut through it. He worried that he might hit an animal in this weather, more specifically a deer. Even if it wasn't feeding time for the creature, the abundance of nature around him made him cautious of totaling his car. Being rather perturbed from earlier didn't help either, as he sat more stiff behind the wheel. He didn't even put the radio on, instead opting to listen to purr of his engine.

All of a sudden, there was a strange noise that happened. He barely caught wind of it, but he was rigid and so his instincts kicked in. He slammed his feet on the breaks and the car skidded forward with an unstoppable force. His body lurched out and was held back by the seatbelt. Within moments the ABS kicked in and the car stopped completely. Sitting back, his enormous breaths were the only noise left.

In the same moment, he realized that he was on a road and so he looked back at the rear view mirrors to see if there were any other drivers approaching. Instead of seeing the flashing headlights of other cars, he ended up seeing the ghost of a person sitting in the back of his car. Upon turning around he froze, just like a deer he was so scared of catching in his headlights, and shivered at the sight of the ghost of his father.

"I've missed you, Miles. It's a shame that I have to say this when its been almost 15 years now, but I'm disappointed in you," his father said, picking at his trench coat.

Edgeworth, still in shock stuttered, "D-dad..."

Tears began to stream down Edgeworth's face as he looked back at his dad, unable to express himself and unknowing of what to do. He wanted to hug him, but at the same time he couldn't bear to think his father was sitting in the back seat.

"Keep driving, my boy. We have some tasks to accomplish by the end of the night," his father said, sitting back in his seat.

Edgeworth started the engine and began to drive through the thickening fog some more, "What are you doing here?"

"I wish I could have come seen you under different circumstances, but I must do what I am doing now. I am the ghost of turnabout present, and I'm here to show you some things," his father explained.

"Like Mia, right?" Edgeworth asked.

His father nodded and said, "That's correct. I was wondering how your friends are doing now. I remember you mentioned them to me once."

Edgeworth thought of Wright and wondered how he was holding up after he had snapped at him. He probably was hurt in some way, but it didn't matter. The division line had to be drawn.

"I'm sure they're doing fine," Edgeworth lied.

His father obviously didn't buy it, "How about we take a little visit over at...what was his name...Phoenix Wright's place."

Opening his mouth to protest, Edgeworth looked back for a split second at his father, only to find that when he looked around him he was in the city. To his right was Wright and Co. law offices. Unsure of what to do, Edgeworth stepped from his car and meandered in the street for a few seconds. As a car came whipping by, he found himself standing in front of the building next to his father. They entered, and were teleported to the office of Wright when they opened the front door. Wright's office was dark, and he sat alone within.

Edgeworth looked at his father and asked, "What are we doing here?"

"Just watch," he replied coolly.