Topic Six: Inventors

~Henry Waterman, of New York, invented the elevator in 1850. He intended it to transport barrels of flour.

(I. HATE. HIM. ELEVATORS ARE FLOATING METAL DEATH TRAPS!)

~John Greenwood, also of New York invented the dental drill in 1790.

(I hate him too.)

~The corkscrew was invented by M.L. Bryn, also of New York, in 1860.

(Without him... Champagne would have to be open the HARD WAY! That should be a horror movie, right there.)

~Electrical hearing aids were invented in 1901 by Miller R. Hutchinson, who was (you guessed it) from New York.

(New York is obviouly home to smart people.)

~Dr. Jonas Salk developed the vaccine for polio in 1952, in New York (aaah!).

(New York is too smart. Give New Jersey a chance!)

~Four wheel roller skates were invented by James L. Plimpton in 1863. Can you guess where?

(He has a funny last name. PLIMP-ton. xD)

~The first words that Thomas A. Edison spoke into the phonograph were, "Mary had a little lamb."

(Oh Mr. Edison, we thought you were a genius, and then you did THAT.)

~At the St. Louis World's Fair in 1904, Richard Blechyden, and Englishman, had a tea concession. On a very hot day, none of the fairgoers were interested in hot tea. Blechyden served the tea cold—and invented iced tea.

(Oh come on... That's just common sense!)

~Camel's-hair brushes are not made of camel's hair. They were invented by a man named Mr. Camel.

(He was DEFInITELY made fun of as a kid! Maybe even spit at... Wait, do camels spit? I think llamas do, and alpacas.)

~The Chinese invented eyeglasses. Marco Polo reported seeing many pairs worn by the Chinese as early as 1275, 500 years before lens grinding became an art in the West.

(THANK YOU CHINESE! YOU HELP ME SEE!)

~The 'spot' on 7UP comes from its inventor who had red eyes. He was albino.

(That's creepy o.O)

~The state of Maine was once known as the "Earmuff Capital of The World". Earmuffs were invented there by Chester Greenwood in 1873.

(That's really something to be proud about! SERIOUSLY!)

~Germany holds the title for most independent inventors to apply for patents.

(I thought that prize would go to New York!)

~Diet Coke was only invented in 1982.

(Diet Coke is disgusting! My 'mom' drinks it...)

~When using the first pay telephone, a caller did not deposit his coins in the machine. He gave them to an attendant who stood next to the telephone. Coin telephones did not appear to 1899.

(FAIL.)

~Benjamin Franklin was the youngest son of a youngest son of a youngest son of a youngest son.

(That is... AWESOME! I'm the oldest daughter, of an oldest daughter, of an oldest daughter!)

THE END! For now... MWA-HA-HA-HA!