Chapter 15

"Fi, pass me the butter please!" Ma's Okie accent pierced through my thoughts.

I opened the fridge and handed her the butter, since that morning I was deep in thought. Last nights belief came swooshing back to me in the morning. Ma had told me that I still wasn't fit for school so I stayed home. The morning had gone by as a blur to me so far.

I had sent Jade more than a few messages to ask her what was happening but they had all remained unanswered. I was fed up with her but I had to clear things up as soon as possible. I chucked my phone onto the couch next to me when it beeped,

FI! UV GOTTA COME RITE NOW! JAMES AT THE HOSPITAL! HE'S HURT; GET UR ARSE HERE RITE NOW I SAY, HE NEEDS 2 C U!

Instantaneously I ran to my car outside, 'what had happened to James? Was he alright? Why was he in hospital? Why did he need to see me?' I grabbed my keys, started the engine, stepped on the gas pedal and zoomed off into the direction of the only hospital in the town.

I dashed into the corridor and ran to the receptionist's desk, panting I asked for James room and was led to the emergency's room; I went in and found that there was only Jade there next to his bed. I gasped when I saw him, his whole face was bandaged up so that only his swollen eyes could be seen and his very thin lips.

Almost at once I was by his side holding his hand in mine, I noticed Jade glance at me with tears in her eyes but there was something more which was undoubtedly hatred. I ignored her; I had no time for her trash right now,

"C-Can you l-leave me alone w-with f-Fi for a while p-please?" James stuttered,

My heart went out to him, he was in pain, the poor boy could hardly speak! I caressed his thick hair, this was a feeling I had never experienced before, and it was so pure and true that I almost felt joyful.

What had happened to me all of a sudden? I heard the door click closed and James painfully tried to face me. His eyes were shut tight with the effort but I made no attempt to stop him.

"How are you feeling?" I asked him,

This was the most idiotic thing I had ever asked but that was what people usually asked when they came to see someone sick at hospital. I might've never been to see anyone sick in my life before but I wasn't that dumb, I had seen plenty of movies!

I saw him roll his eyes and then regret it almost immediately after, he winced but and I could feel his grip tightening on mine.

"Fi, I w-want you to stay away from R-Ryan, h-he's d-" he was faltering so bad but I never got to know what he had to say because just at that moment, the nurse came in looking disappointed, she shooed me to the door and I could hear her saying thwarted to James,

"I told you were not to have any visitors until tomorrow, that's a bad beating you've got there boy, if you want to get better, you better rest."

There was no use of me waiting on the bench outside, the nurse had precised that he had to take it easy for now. He couldn't even have a normal conversation. What had he trying to tell me about Ryan? Had he been telling me to stay away from him? Had I heard correctly or was he stumbling over his words so much that I hadn't understood? Had Ryan done that to him?

As if on cue, Jade came up to me an unreadable expression on her face,

"He could've killed him Fi! Do you realize how serious this is? How could you Fi?" she asked me hysterically,

"What are you talking about Jade?" I asked her in a trembling voice,

She didn't answer my question but said,