3. Addicted

It's like you're a drug

I bit my lip, silently sending prayers to some merciful God above. I clutched my right hand into my left to cease the trembling of it. May-hap he would cease to exist if I didn't acknowledge him.

It's like you're a demon I can't face down

"Athena."

I closed my eyes, my lower lip quivering. I knew that voice. That deep, soothing voice I've heard countless times. A voice I knew as well as my own. The voice that could send shivers dashing down my spine. From either lust, love, fear or perhaps a combination of both - I couldn't quite figure it out myself.

It's like I'm stuck

"Theseus."

Making sure my body had no intentions of quivering from fear of this man, I whirled around to face him. Theseus. My newly appointed lover. And by newly appointed lover, I mean a forced one. In order to muffle the ancient feud between our two kingdoms, it was advised that they should have a marriage between the two. Normally, I would've been relieved to hear any sort of feud being ended peacefully.

If this choice hadn't been weighed unbearable upon my shoulders.

If I didn't have to marry someone from this disgusting kingdom.

If I didn't have to marry the prince of that kingdom.

If the aforementioned prince was human.

This was anything but normal, so I was selfishly not pleased with this feud ending peacefully.

It's like I'm running from you all the time

"I came to inquire if you might be interested to accompany me to the Gardens."

I suppressed the urge to sprint far away from this seemingly normal vampire or yank out a silver enhanced stake and plunge it down the depths of his black heart or yank his shirt and kiss his lips off. I let the three ideas sink in and weighed them according to their sanity. Neither of them were practical at this moment.

"I'll have to politely decline," I answered, giving him an assured grin that I was told could make men weak in the knees.

Theseus raised a questioning dark eyebrow. He was a vampire. He wasn't stupid. He could sense fear from a mile away, as much as I could smell death reeking all over him.

And I know I let you have all the power

"Why?" he questioned back, obviously not used to hearing the word 'no'. With his looks that could kill, perhaps literally, I wasn't surprised.

We had only shared the same house for a couple of weeks. Thankfully, the house was large enough for me to occupy myself with other tasks - or to be honest, anything that didn't involve his presence.

"I have to... practice." Was my pathetic excuse. By the narrowing of his fathomless jade eyes, I knew he hadn't bought that lie.

It's like the only company I seek is misery all around

"Practice some other time. This time, you'll have to allow yourself to accompany me," Theseus said firmly, grabbing my hand.

If I hadn't known better, I would've lurched out of the touch of his chilled hands that reeked of death. But I knew better than to show this creature fear. My entire immortal life was based around studying these creatures and eliminating them. So I knew them better than my slayer friends, which perhaps wasn't saying much... Slayers were naturally closed, quiet beings and I had been forced to learn of the Vampires as soon as I could walk.