Part 16: A Helpful Guest

Dagur screamed as the arrow slammed into his chest, the iron tip tearing his flesh. He collapsed backwards as the rest of the outlaws unleashed their weapons as well, a hail of arrows landing on the hunting party. At least five more men fell and there were other screams as well as the men behind them were hit by the flying arrows. Hiccup fired twice more then glanced at his gang.

"CAVE!" he shouted and saw Gustav sprint for safety, with Gobber and Fishlegs at his side. The rest of the gang took his advice and accelerated into the cave. Hiccup covered them then slowly tried to inch backwards-but he tripped over his new prosthetic foot and sprawled. And then he heard the zings and thunks of arrows flying behind him and he rolled over-to see the twins, Fishlegs-even Gustav-firing furiously to cover their leader as he crawled to safety. He grabbed his crutch and finally made it, grimacing as he grabbed his stump.

"Ow!" he hissed.

"Laddie-yer imagination and courage may be exactly as they were before ye got captured but yer not as agile and yer need tae remember that!" Gobber breathed as they huddled in the cave.

"Now what?" Gustav asked worriedly. Tuff grinned.

"We have surprises for them when they come down to get us," he said, then peered out. "What's taking so long? I want my explosions! Whoops." Hiccup levered himself to his feet and peered at the Cove: his hand automatically tightened around the bow and he gripped an arrow. He was breathing hard, his entire posture showing he was afraid. This was his plan but he kept seeing the last moments at Hofferson Hall. He closed his eyes.

"They're coming!" Gustav yelped and Toothless growled at Hiccup's side. The young outlaw leaned down and stroked the wolf, feeling his hackles raised.

"Shh, bud," he murmured. "We just need to be ready..." Then strong arms grabbed him and he found himself handed to the back of the cave as Gobber glared at him.

"No, laddie!" he growled. "We've barely patched ye back taegether and we're not having ye captured and hurt again." He handed Hiccup the cloth bag bulging with the Treaties. Hiccup stiffened, his eyes wide with shock. He stared at the old warrior.

"Gobber, I h-have to..." he murmured distantly.

"You have to get up top," Gobber told him gruffly. "You can't leap up like a mountain goat any more and we need you-and those-away. And you are far more dangerous with your bow from up high..." Hiccup swallowed, the stricken look in his eyes easing slightly. No leader liked hearing he was unfit to lead his men but he knew Gobber was making sense. Reluctantly, he slung his bow over his back along with the bag, grabbed his armour and crutch and wound his arm around the rope hanging down.

"Ready?" Fishlegs called down. Gobber nodded.

"Pull 'im up before the laddie comes up with some stupid excuse!" he called and Hiccup felt himself winched up. As soon as he reached to top of the very narrow gap, Fishlegs grabbed him and pulled him through. He landed on his knees and took a deep breath.

"Thanks, Fish," he murmured and shed everything except his bow and arrows and crawled to the lip of the Cove, peering through the bushes to pick out Dagur's assault party. The Berserker was lying on his back, the arrow sticking out of the centre of his chest and there were others sprawled as well. Three men were guarding the horses but the rest had headed down the steep cutting into the Cove. Hiccup smiled and picked an arrow. He drew his arm back, aimed and fired. One by one, the remaining men by the horses fell. Then he lit then nocked another arrow and covered the Cove.

Behind him, he heard Gobber grumbling as he was hauled up by Fishlegs, Asbjorn, Frode and Nils. The old warrior had been roped up as Hiccup had. Dagmar and Einur scrambled up and then Toothless was winched up, whining. Hiccup turned his head to the wolf and gave a little grin. Toothless ran to his side, his bandaged stub of a tail wagging furiously as Ruff appeared grinning. Hiccup turned to Gustav.