Part 13 ...Not Friendless

"I've seen enough," Ruff whispered and dragged her brother back from the crowd of servants still screaming abuse and throwing rubbish at Hiccup. Both the twins realised how terrible the punishment was, for Hiccup had done everything to be a decent and just human being. He had never been cruel or rude to anyone in the castle and always done as much for himself as he was allowed. When he had been viciously ambushed and his birthright stolen, he had remained on Berk when a sane man would have run for his life because he felt responsibility to the gruff people of Berk. He had done everything he could to undo the damage Spitelout and his cronies had wreaked on the innocent villagers, farmers and fishermen. He had restored stolen money, goods and children to frantic and desperate people. But none of that had mattered. The people of Berk tended to act like a herd and the fact he had been small, perceived as weak and a dubious Heir meant the people were willing to discard him if there was a better prospect on the cards. And for the servants in the castle, Spitelout seemed better: he had a strong son, he was stupid and easy to scam and he promised peace. So they had turned on Hiccup when he needed them most.

The twins sneaked up the back stairs and slid into the room they were seeking quickly, settling on the bed and idly tossing pillows around until the door opened and a straight and sad looking shape walked in, slamming and locking the door behind her. Astrid walked straight to the bench, kicked off her slippers and began to undo the laces on her bodice when Ruff cleared her throat to try to catch her attention. Astrid snapped up to her feet, spun and grasped at her axe.

"What are you two doing here?" she hissed.

"Trying to forget what we just saw," Tuff said quietly, his eyes focussed suddenly on her. "It looked like everyone turning on our fearless leader. And not one single person standing up for him."

"They hold all the cards," Astrid protested. "I am virtually a prisoner here. I'm not allowed to leave the castle now, all my possessions and wealth have been taken by the crown...even my ladies in waiting have been reassigned. And I am to marry Snotlout in just under three weeks." Ruff grabbed her braids and tugged on them, thinking hard.

"I guess they all think he's broken now," she said heavily. Astrid nodded.

"I saw his eyes," she admitted in a small voice. "He looked heart-broken. All he ever did was try to make his Dad proud-and they were shouting that he was a disgrace and a coward. All of them!" Ruff shared a look with her twin: he looked serious which was most unlike himself.

"But he's not," the male twin said suddenly. "We need Fishlegs and a couple of horses."

"You can't go out to get him...and neither can I!" Astrid protested. Ruff suddenly smiled.

"I think Hiccup may have mentioned once...that you have a dragon," she said. Astrid's eyes widened and she nodded. She had a small blue and yellow Terrible Terror-Sneaky-that Hiccup had helped her train as a young girl. There had only been one egg so he had given her the dragon without hesitation, though she had seen the longing and wistfulness in his expression as she had bonded with the little dragon. She had made sure the dragon was a friend to him as well and had used the little dragon to carry messages to him when they were kids, little notes that had heartened the miserable and bullied young Prince. Her best friend.

"She's a very well-trained dragon," she admitted and frowned. "Where do you want him to go?" Ruff tugged her braids again.

"The gang headquarters," she said. "We need Fishlegs. He can get in on his own. In fact, his arrival is crucial! And then we're springing Hiccup!"

oOo

Fishlegs walked anxiously through the Portcullis of Berkingham Castle, a huge basket of loaves on his shoulder. His mother had taught him to bake and she had helped him to make the loaves overnight. He had been freaked when the little Terrible Terror had literally appeared on his head, chittering and licking its eyeball in a very disconcerting way. After three of the others had helped dislodge the determined little dragon and Gobber had almost strained something laughing, Fishlegs and the old warrior had read the note from Astrid twice, frowning at the news. Hiccup needed rescuing and the twins had a plan.