Song Trilogy

The ** represent lyrics of Ed Sheeran's Small Bump. This is part 1 of a 3 part short story. I obviously don't own the lyrics.

Part One

Small Bump

*You're just a small bump unborn, in four months you're brought to life.*

I stroked my stomach, feeling my baby bump and smiled at my husband through the mirror

"Four months... only four left."

He came behind and held me, "I can't wait... do you still want it to be a surprise?" He kissed my temple as I nodded

"I want everyone to be surprised... even us."

*Might be left with my hair, but you'll have your mother's eyes.*

"Well I hope both my babies have your eyes hon." He stepped away and grinned

"And your hair" I wished

"Mine?" He laughed, "That'll be silly... I want her to have your features."

"You think it's a girl?" I asked, I started to change

"I hope it's a girl." He smirked

"I just can't wait to hold them..." I smiled, "ready to go?"

"Yeah, let's go see the baby doc!" he smiled, I rolled my eyes and laughed

"I just want to see the baby!" I laughed, we walked to the car and strapped in, I let my hands stroke my belly again

*I'll hold your body in my hands, be as gentle as I can

But for now you're a scan of my unmade plans, a small bump; in four months you're brought to life.*

I held his hand as he drove the other resting on my stomach as I hummed. I knew it was only four months more... I couldn't wait for this little life inside me... they were a life I made with my love. We drove over the bridge and my mind drifted to the baby...

And I'll whisper quietly, give you nothing but truth.

*If you're not inside me, I'll put my future in you.*

As we entered the doctor's office, I laid down and smiled as he held my hand; he was rubbing circles on my stomach and humming.

"Hello again, are you ready for your sonogram?" The doctor walked in and smiled sweetly

"Yes, we still don't want to hear the gender..." He looked at me smirking

"Yep! I love surprises honey, deal." I smiled; I lifted my shirt and felt the gel smear on my stomach. The doctor flipped the screen on and showed us the baby.

"There they are. Looking very healthy and just the right size for 24 weeks..."

"There they are... so tiny..." I cooed

*You are my one, and only, and you can wrap your fingers round my thumb; and hold me tight.

And you'll be alright

You're just a small bump I know, you'll grow into your skin *

"They're gonna have your smile" he said, kissing my temple

"Mmm... they're going to have both of us..." I teared up, "Our baby... oh they're so tiny..."

*With a smile like hers and a temple beneath your chin, fingernails the size of a half grain of rice, and eyelids closed to be soon open wide.

A small bump in four months you'll open your eyes*

We left the doctor's office and held hands happily, "Only four months! We're going to have a baby!!!" I screamed, grinning my face off. I jumped and hugged him tightly

*And I'll hold you tightly, and tell you nothing but truth

If you're not inside me, I'll put my future in you.*

"Yeah, and then I'll have two silly kids..." he smiled, "but we'll have a little us, and we'll lay in bed, we'll teach them; and hold them." He mused, letting the idea wash over me.

*You are my one, and only, and you can wrap your fingers round my thumb; and hold me tight.

And you can lie with me, with your tiny feet, when you're half asleep, but leave you be right in front of me, for a couple weeks so I can keep you safe.*

We got in the car and we drove back towards our house. We held hands and I could only think of what would happen once they were born...

Then I saw the truck.

He shot out in front of me and I wrapped my arms around my stomach.

*You are my one, and only, and you can wrap your fingers round my thumb; and hold me tight.*

The pain shot through me, I wasn't even able to scream. I felt everything, and then nothing. I drifted out of consciousness only thinking, "Will my baby be alright?"

*And you'll be alright*

I woke up and I couldn't feel anything... I heard the doctors and nurses talk and only one word stood out...

Miscarriage...

*Cause you were just a small bump unborn, for four months and torn from life... maybe you were needed up there but we're still unaware as why.*