Chapter Twenty

I wrench open the door and sprint inside. In the ornamental hallway in which I met the 'Master', Elijah has Avril strapped to a chair and is holding a bloodied knife to her cheek. "Avril!" I cry out, unable to stop myself. Avril looks towards the door and her terror-ridden face is filled with heavy relief. Then she slumps forward, restrained by the ropes, unconscious.

Elijah looks at me, then at Rhys who enters behind me. His rage-consumed face twists as he beams at us sardonically, "Why, it's the heroes of the day! Remember this knife, honey?" Elijah holds up the knife tainted with Avril's blood. I look at the knife; it's the same knife Elijah held to my throat the time I discovered him fighting with Rhys in Rhys' bedroom. I don't reply, I just clench my fists, "Elijah, how dare you bring my best friend here? Who exactly do you think you are?!"

"Elijah, Primary Angel of Riré, soon to be right hand man of the Great Master Himself." Elijah beams with pride.

I shake my head in disgust, "You make me sick, Elijah! What do you want from us? Avril has nothing to do with this! Why have you hurt her?"

"She refused to tell me things about you. I don't like being refused. You know that very well, don't you? After all, you've had first hand experience of it." Elijah twirls the knife in his hand, looking at it as if it's just a simple controller.

Rhys launches himself forward, grabbing Elijah by the collar, "How dare --"

"I wouldn't do that, child. This is my court, you have no right to be assaulting my children." It's that musical voice again. The Master guy. The one who's behind all of this.

"Hey!" I shout out, "I have a bone to pick with you!!"

Elijah looks outright shocked at my tone but the Master only laughs, "Yes, my child? What is it?"

"You have some nerve, telling me that as long as I agree to being your damn angel, you won't set any of your 'ranks' on me to watch us. As soon as we leave this place, you send Elijayh. You've broke your own word." I say. The air in the hall changes, a cold chill sweeps through the room, holding all of us captive.

"You know exactly what I'm saying! You sent Elijah to trap my best friend, to keep an eye on us. Well, if you can break your word, so can I. I'm no longer going to be your angel after your death. I'm going straight to my grave."

Rhys winces but Elijah just gawks at me as if he can't recognise who he's looking at.

"As for my best friend, I'm taking her from here. Just because you rule here, it doesn't you bend the rules to your wishes. Maybe God isn't so perfect after all." I stride over to Avril, who is beginning to stir and start loosening the ropes binding her.

"What do you mean, child of mine? You can't do that, it's not in your hands." The musical voice tells me, sounding panicked, as I continue to unbind Avril from the ropes. Rhys helps her up and she looks around herself, dazed. Her cheek is bloody, a deep gash running down from her eye to her mouth. Rhys places his hand over the gash and closes his eyes, muttering something. When he removes his hand, Avril's gash has gone. She looks at me, tearful and mouths, "Thank you." I smile back at her.

"Child! Didn't you hear me? You cannot just go back on your word like this!!"

"Yes, I can because it's what you did. You set the example. You broke your promise so I will break mine. You no longer have a hold on me. You can't tell me what to do any longer." I spit out spitefully, my fists clenched by my sides.

"I will not let you go so easily. Elijah."

Elijah obediently reaches out for Avril but I intercept him, reaching forward and slapping him across his face. Elijah looks at me, his eyes blazing from the sting of the slap. "Don't you dare touch her or I will personally make it my life's goal to hunt you down, Elijah." I warn, anger rushing through my veins like blood and oxygen.

"CHILD!!" The word rumbles through the hall, "How dare you lay a hand on my subject?! This is not a playground. You are my creation and you will obey!!"

"Yes. I am your creation but I am my own person and I have my own free will. The free will which you granted to me. The only person I obey is myself and those I choose to obey. Right now, I do not choose to obey you. We are leaving." I take Avril's hand and with Rhys, stride over and leave the palace.

But I have a feeling this isn't going to be over yet.

Then we're flying through the vortex. I can hear a mix of voices; some familiar, some estranged. Images of people through the ages rush past me, pushing my hair back, reddening my cheeks.

Avril can't remember anything as we walk to her house. When she regained consciousness, Rhys and I were already carrying her to her house. As we approach Avril's front door, we see the lines of police cars in the driveway. I frown. Avril moans, "Why can't I remember anything?"

I look at Rhys anxiously, "It's... trauma. It's the shock of it all. You'll be okay, don't push yourself to remember." Avril nods and then her front door is slammed open and Linda, sobbing, rushes out and enfolds Avril in a giant bear hug. Then behind them, Mom and Dad come out with a handful of press.

Mom and Dad sigh when they see me and hold each other's hands for support. Calmly, they walk over with the press hot on their heels. "Oh, Donna." Mom says as she holds her arms out for me. I sigh, happy to let myself drown in her expensive perfume-y smell. Dad kisses the top of my forehead, "I am so proud of you." I let myself bask in their praise. Then the press takes over and Rhys, Avril and I are bombarded with questions...

"The daughter of elegantly fame-ridden former supermodels Lorraine and Rob Morrison, Donna Jade Morrison -- who still isn't signed despite it being a family career -- proved herself a true hero when she reappeared after a fortnight with her missing best friend, Avril Burns." A reporter says, her hair all touched up in a sophisticated up-do, "We talked exclusively to the local hero as she explained what she went through to retrieve her best friend."

The camera shifts to me. Microphones are stuffed in front of me and I am saying, "My boyfriend and I were out looking for her. We scoured every place we could think of. It was very draining. I wasn't prepared to go home without her. Avril was lying in a ditch, unscathed but unconscious. I just... I was elated to have found her. I'm just glad she's safe and we can all move on from this."

A reporter asks, "How did you get her home?"

"We dragged her here. She couldn't even stand. She was starved. The doctor said she's lucky to be alive. I'm just so happy she's okay. She's my best friend, I can't live without her." I wipe a tear away and try to smile.

The camera goes back to the reporter, "Well, isn't she a little sweetheart? And I'm sure we'll see more of Donna Morrison in the near future. For more information about this incredible journey, or just about Donna Jade Morrison, please visit our website. Back to you in the studio, William."

The TV goes blank and my mom throws her arms around me, "We're so proud of you, baby! You did so good." She strokes my hair, "You saved your best friend. I don't have any words to describe how I'm feeling. I am the proudest mother in the world."

"Thank you, mom." I blush, "I know I rushed out on you and I'm sorry for that. I just had to find her." I look at her from under my lashes.

"Oh no!" Mom objects, "If this is what you're going to do, I would rather you rushed out on me more often." Mom and I chuckle momentarily, watching as Dad bounds into the room and sits down opposite us.

"I have just had some news." Dad says, "I've had calls from four tabloid magazines and they all want you to be their new cover girl for their next issue. I told them I had to talk to you about it first and get back to them."

I look at Dad steadily, "What, like, modelling?"

"Yeah..." Dad trails off, "But it's a one time thing. Just some gun. You're not enrolling for the modelling career."

"Of course we do!" Mom claps her hands excitedly, "I can't wait to see the final products." I smile, glad I pleased her; after all, modelling isn't my career choice but I want to see my parents happy. And if doing one-off magazine cover shoots will make them happy, then so be it.