Chapter Ten

The house is jammed with crowds of people. Streamers and 'Happy Birthday' banners hang from the walls, floaty lanterns are suspended from the ceiling, emitting enough warm pinkish light so the main lights aren't needed. Tables of food line the edges of the room. Balloons are strewn on the floor and occasionally there's a sound of one of them popping. The air is filled with merry cheer and the sound of people laughing. A small crowd in the middle of the room are dancing to the booming music and everyone is clutching champagne glasses filled with orange pop.

I spot the cheering crew standing in a corner and the girls run their eyes on my dress and nod approvingly. The guys stand a little straighter and some of them even wink at me, earning a well deserved glare from their girlfriends, who then steer them out of my sight. I shake my head to myself and look around the crowded room as bodies press up against me. Someone presses a drink into my hand but, since I don't know who gave it to me, I set it down on the nearest food table. I mean, they could have laced it with something.

I don't want to be the girl raped/kindapped/murdered on her sixteenth birthday. Can you imagine the irony of that??

I'm dressed in a different outfit. Mom guided me through this one. I'm wearing a dusty purple, wisteria chiffon draped Marchesa gown that floats down past my ankles and ruffles the ground below it. Mum also instructed me to wear heels, but instead I'm wearing pumps. My hair is curled and in a bun at the nape of my neck, but obviously a bit escapes. My lips are soaked in lip gloss. I tried to wipe it off before the party, but Avril was in Mom Mode and wouldn't let me touch my face, leave alone my lips.

Rhys hasn't seen me yet; he's around here somewhere, probably keeping to himself. "Happy birthday, Donna!" People call to me as I pass. I smile in their general direction. "You look so pretty!" "Donna, I love your dress!" "Your party is rocking!" I smile and express my gratitude for their appraisal, but really, I just want to get away from all the attention. I look around the lounge anxiously for Rhys; I can't see him anywhere. Avril is right behind me, wearing a grey off-the-shoulder dress that floats around her knees, her long tanned legs complimented by heels.

"Where is he?" I groan, mostly to myself.

"Who are you looking for?" Avril calls, "Rhys Hart?"

"Yes!" I say, waving to someone, "I can't find him anywhere!" Avril grabs me by the shoulders and then leads me to a chair. "What are you doing, Avril? I have to find him."

Avril touches up my hair, "It's your birthday. He should be looking for you, not the other way around."

"Well..." I flounder around, "I don't care, Avril. These are your rules. I don't care. I'm searching."

"Searching for who?" Rhys walks up to us and smiles briefly at Avril. He turns to me, "I was looking for you, Donna. Where's the gift I gave you?" I hand Rhys the little box. I still have not opened it.

Rhys sighs, "Why haven't you opened it? Doesn't matter. I'll put it on you." Rhys goes and stands behind me. A cold substance hits my neck and I look down at a silver crystal heart pendant.

I smile, "Wow. It's beautiful. Thank you."

"Happy birthday." Rhys says, "Avril, someone was asking for you. Some guy. He's over by the food table." Avril skips away. Rhys sits down beside me, "You look so beautiful tonight, Donna. So beautiful." He tucks a lock of my blonde hair behind my ear. I smile, a blush forming in my cheeks. Rhys chuckles, "You're blushing."

I slap his arm gently, "Stop teasing me!"

Rhys chuckles again and then touches my cheek, "Sorry. I evacuated the pool side for us. Come." We both head to the back door and into the cool night air. A gentle breeze laps at us, cooling us down from the bodily heat we were trapped in outside. The night sky is velvety black and stars twinkle like shining eyes, gazing down at us. We take a seat on the bench and Rhys looks at me steadily, "It's Eliza's death anniversary today."