Chapter 15: Why her?

Hayden's P.O.V

I knew there was something wrong with Alexia the moment she comes stumbling downstairs, because I feel it's my job to know. My job to know if she's okay, my job to know if she isn't.

First of all, she'd shed her ever-present designer outfit for an oversized hoodie and leggings, and she'd ridded her face of all her makeup, making herself look young and vulnerable. Her long hair spilled around her shoulders in its natural waves, untamed and wild, like never before.

It seemed she could care less what she looked like, and it kind of makes me happy, to see her looking like this, looking like she'd just rolled out of bed, not wanting to impress anyone, to see her with her walls down. Her eyelids drooped to cover half of her blue irises, and the tip of her button nose was red as were her flushed cheeks, as if she'd been outside in the cold a long time.

"Lex." I say disapprovingly, anxiousness instantly making me tense. "When was the last time you slept through the night?"

She takes a while to consider this, and when she answers, her voice is husky, like her throat is sore, and her nose stuffed. "A week?"

"That's not healthy." I murmur, stepping towards her, my brows knotted together. "You need to take better damn care of yourself, Alexia."

"I'm fine," She insists, tripping a little over her own feet on her way to the kettle, sniffling. "I'm just going to--" she lets out the most delicate, high pitched little sneeze I'd ever heard, and I can't help but compare it to the sneeze of a kitten—it was pretty cute, honestly. "Sorry," She mumbles, blinking up at me, sniffling again. "Maybe I'm not feeling 100%."

"I can tell." I frown. "Are you hungry? I could make you some, uh, soup, or something." I suggest awkwardly. I didn't really know how to take care of people. I've always isolated people, put them at a distance. Even Summer and Chase.

But with Alexia, it's different. She's different. I'm different with her.

"No, no, that's okay," She assures me, sneezing again in that adorable way, producing a tissue from her fisted hand and blowing her nose.

"Well at least let me make you tea." I walk over to her by the kettle, gently pushing her aside. "Go upstairs and lie down."

"Hayden, I am perfectly capable of--" she erupts into a fit of coughs followed with another sneeze, and I simply eye her with that I told you so face, and when she's done, she sticks up her chin. "I'm fine. And I don't need to lie down."

"That's it." I sigh, scooping her up with ease. She's light, with birdlike bones that weigh close to nothing. "I'll be damned if I don't make you get some rest. Tomorrow is Saturday, so you can sleep in." I carry her upstairs and down the hall. I consider plopping her down in her own room, but I'd feel like I was intruding if I went in there without her invitation. So I throw open my bedroom door and gently place her on the bed, and watch as she sinks into the mattress. She looks especially tiny lying atop my king bed, with my unmade sheets all around her like navy blue wave swells.

"I'll be right back with your tea." I promise in a firm tone. "Stay here."

"Hayden--" she begins, before sneezing once more.

"Lex, I'm going to take care of you, okay? So just get some rest, and don't be difficult." I sigh.

She sniffles again, looking offended. "I was just going to say thank you."

I clear my throat. "Oh, uh. You're welcome, I guess. But you'd just better get healthy again soon, otherwise I won't be happy." I say awkwardly. That sounded a little...clingy.