Chapter 4

Olivia didn't try to skip school on Monday, because she knew it would be a waste of breath. She had agreed to try and grow up, after all. By now she ought to be adjusted, and start making friends. It was sad that now her own mother wasn't the same—she couldn't tell her anything, confide her fears, or even get a real hug. After making a quick breakfast she went off to work. Olivia had the house to herself for an hour. Then she dragged herself down the sidewalk, defeated, with a backpack slung over her shoulder.

What's the difference between this and going to regular school? Olivia thought, kicking a rock out of the way. She paused to watch it bounce awkwardly down the street. I guess no matter how many times I ask this, I'll never have an answer.

It wasn't long before someone called out, “Hey Olivia!”

Olivia span, coming face-to-face with a beaming Averil. She racked her brain for a greeting that sounded polite, but the girl didn't wait. “It's awesome you're coming today. Makes more sense to start school on Monday, anyway, than Friday. So you’re forgiven for skipping last time.” She flashed a smile.

“Well, thank you,” Olivia replied, just a little sarcastically.

Averil ignored the sarcasm. “You’ll get to meet my dad,” she said, practically bouncing off the sidewalk. “He teaches history. He thinks I should pay more attention to history, but—I hear enough of him at home.” She grinned, waiting for Olivia to laugh at her joke.

Olivia cleared her throat awkwardly instead. “Is…Shanna going to be there?”

“Shanna?” Averil looked surprised by Olivia’s interest. “Sure. She always goes. I see you’ve met her,” she added crossly. “Otherwise you wouldn’t look like you’re about to see a demon.”

Olivia remembered the dreams that Shanna crept into. “Well…yeah, actually.”

“Just ignore her. She’s sour. Stick with me and you won’t get hurt.”

The thought of getting hurt made Olivia stiffen. “Thanks.”

“No prob. Maybe we can explain about Shanna later. But I don’t like wasting my time talking about her.”

Olivia didn’t reply, playing distractedly with the strap of her backpack. It was chillier today, so she zipped up her coat and looked up with a sigh.

“Oh, there’s Ian.”

Olivia spotted a hooded figure darting out the front door of what must be the biggest house in the neighborhood. He pulled back the hood and she realized it really was him; she could recognize his sandy brown hair.

“So that’s me, and Ian, and George, and Tess…Shanna can’t hurt you.” Averil waved at Ian for him to come over, and he slid into pace with them. “Just don’t talk to her anymore.”

“Talk to who?” Ian interrupted, sounding curious.

Averil’s face darkened. “Shanna.”

“Oh.” His eyes filled with understanding. Clearly Shanna had built a very bad reputation for herself.

Ian turned to Olivia. “Good morning.” It sounded like a casual greeting, but she heard something else in it—almost as if making sure it was really her. He was probably worried about her survival.

“Morning,” Olivia replied, smiling weakly. She sighed a little, catching sight of the wishing well straight ahead of her.

Welcome back, Dogar.

They hurried inside the building and to one of the back rooms. Olivia realized more kids lived in this neighborhood than she first thought. She took a seat at the end of a long table, avoiding the gazes of eight people she didn't know—and suddenly felt someone staring at her intensely across the table.