Chapter Five

Kara:

            “Are you guys almost ready?” Kara asked.

            Unlike last week, Kara was looking forward to this football game. Since it was supposed to be her turn to buy sodas for her and Tate, she made sure to slip a few extra dollars into the pocket of her jeans. She also made sure to look a little better than she usually did for a football game.

            “I can’t believe this is the same girl we had to practically drag with us last week, can you, Irina?” Shirelle joked.

            “That was before I met Tate.”           

“By the way, you’re welcome for that. You wouldn’t have even met him if we hadn’t forced you to come with us.”

            “I told you guys I was meeting him at the game tonight, right?”

            “Why do I get the feeling that means we’re not supposed to be around?”

            “Is everyone ready?” Camryn asked, stepping into their room.

            “We’re ready,” Irina agreed.

            As the four of them made their way toward the line of busses that would take the students to the stadium, Kara’s excitement mounted. After a week of anticipation, she was going to see Tate again.  

            “Hey, Kara, there’s your date,” Irina said as they drew closer to the parking lot.  

            “See you guys later,” Kara said.

            Tate was smiling at her as she hurried to meet him, and she realized what a great smile he had. It was kind of goofy, but for some reason that worked for him, just like his odd choice of clothes worked for him. Though he was wearing blue jeans and tennis shoes, his long sleeved button up shirt seemed a strange pairing.  

            “Hey,” he said when Kara approached.

            She couldn’t help laughing. “For a genius, you’re not very good at starting a conversation.” 

            Tate grinned at her. “It’s a proven fact that many geniuses lack fundamental social skills, which has been directly attributed to their heads being so crammed full of academic knowledge that little room is left for anything else.”

            “I guess that means you’ll need a good teacher.” 

            “Are you offering to fill the position?” 

            “What position?” Shirelle asked as her friends came to join them.

            “Nothing,” Kara said. “What are you guys doing here?”

            “I see how it is,” Shirelle laughed. “We’re good enough to room with and walk over here with but not good enough to hang out with your new boyfriend.”

            Kara’s face flamed at her friend’s not so subtle way of trying to worm information out of Tate. If he minded the title, it didn’t show in his wide grin.

            “I guess you can hang out with us if you want,” Tate said, wrapping an arm around Kara’s shoulder and pulling her against him. “I can handle you watching us make out as long as it’s okay with Kara.”

            “No thanks,” Shirelle grimaced. “I got enough of that last year.”

            As soon as she said it, Shirelle clapped a hand over her mouth.