Dream Catch Me - Chapter Twenty Seven

It took around a week for Alex to organise an appointment with the bank. He insisted it was because he was busy, but I think without my nagging every day he wouldn't have got around to it. Meanwhile, I fitted back into my normal routine. School, work, run, home. And all over again. School and work were awkward. Joe was being hostile and cold, as if I were the one who had instigated the kiss. He insisted we were friends before, but now he reverted back to his teacher position. Joe didn't eat lunch with us, he didn't start up a conversation at work that wasn't about work and he didn't take any notice of me. It hurt a lot, knowing he said he would be there for me, but then he turned his back all because of a stupid move that he did.

I was sitting in my geography class on a Wednesday afternoon, hardly paying attention to Joe as he stood up the front and taught the class. Jaz was sitting next to me, unaware of the situation I was in. "Hey. Jane," she whispered just loud enough so I could hear. I turned to look at her and raised my eyebrows in question. "You okay?" she asked I nodded and gave her a weak smile. I hated being one of those girls who were so hurt by a guy that they changed into a different person. I needed to move past Joe if I were ever going to be happy. Move on, or confront him. He strutted to the front of his class in his dress pants, dress shoes and a nicely ironed shirt. He started to dress nicer, but I don't know what may have triggered it. As Joe glanced over me again, taking no notice I began to build up with anger.

He was the one who kissed me! I shouldn't be sulking around and feeling like I've done something wrong. But by the way he has gone cold, I could only think it was my fault. I furrowed my brows as the bell rung. "I'll meet you at lunch," I told Jaz. She nodded and glanced between Joe and I. The students sprinted out of class, barely before the bell had finished ringing. I stood behind Joe as he cleared away the board with the duster. His back was tensed up, so I guess he knew I was behind him.

"What is your problem?" I asked him, an unintentional amount of venom had poisoned my voice. He sighed and turned around to face me, looking me dead in the eye with his deep jade green eyes. "Miss Reddington, I suggest you go off to lunch," he said coldly and turned around to clear the rest of the board. A surge of anger made me shout out, "Miss Reddington? Well sorry, Mr Hunter. I'll be out of your hair and in a couple of months I'll be gone forever." I stomped out of class in fury. All I wanted was for Joe to be back like he was before, friendly. Someone who made me smile and feel warm inside. But right now, when he couldn't stand to look at me, I highly doubted it could go back to that.

I met up with Jaz and Fletch at lunch, but was off in my own little world. It didn't matter to either of my best friends though, as they were clearly flirting with each other and ignoring me. Don't get me wrong, I didn't mind it. At least someone, or two people could be happy, and I was glad it was my two best friends. But it bothered me a little. It was so clear that they liked each other, yet neither of them were bold enough to ask the other out. I decided it was time to do some match making. "Guys," I tried to grab their attention, but it took more than one go. "Guys!" they both looked to me as I raised my voice. "Let's go to a movie tonight, there's a new one out. A thriller I think." they both nodded, keen at the idea. "Yeah, that's my kind of movie!" Fletch said and pumped the air. Jaz giggled, but agreed to come. I smiled, my plan coming together.

"Okay, I'll meet you guys at the cinema at 7," I said and went back to my pretty solitary lunch. I wouldn't show up. I didn't like movies that much, and I didn't plan on going to see the thriller. Jaz and Fletch would show up, where I would text them and let them know I couldn't make it, but for them to go ahead anyway. I smiled to myself, glad I was doing something good for someone else.

-

After quickly greeting Alex after another awkward work shift I grabbed my shoes, changed and went for a run. I went on my usual route but decided to take a break at the park. I lay down on the cool grass, the droplets of dew soaking into my clothes as the grass tickled my back. I turned my music up louder, so I couldn't hear the sounds of the road and the beating of my heart. I watched the stars, hoping for a shooting star that I could wish upon. I watched intently, recognising Orions belt and other constellations. I knew there must be a shooting star anywhere, somewhere and even if I couldn't see it I was going to wish upon it anyway.